Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeromenism

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Hi guys, was hoping to get some opinions on the magic keyboard. Mine just came today. It’s an amazing accessory, no complains about it at all. I’m just not sure if I can find a use case for it given that I have a gaming desktop and a work laptop.

If I were to take any notes, it’ll probably be hand written on notability with my Apple Pencil.

Does anyone have experience using their iPad with a keyboard and have any strong use cases for it? I mainly use my iPad for media consumption at home and hand written notes.

Thank you!

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Mine's going to do some of its work as a desktop docking station for the iPad. Also, mobile outdoor office. I like taking my bike up the local canyons, finding an isolated place with a nice view (and cell signal) and getting some writing done. This will be much better than lugging my MacBook pro and hotspot connection.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
I’m currently separated from my MBP (due to this COVID kerfuffle) so the MK would straight up be replacing my laptop for the next several weeks... Part of my hesitation in buying one is that I worry it’s going to be a totally redundant accessory once I get my laptop back. Great for travel and stuff, assuming that becomes a thing again, but at home? Not sure! :/

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I’m now using my iPad as a laptop, so that’s why I bought one as I’ll be using it in a variety of places and don’t want to carry an external keyboard and mouse. If I was just going to be using it at a desk or for content consumption I wouldn’t have bought it.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I can think of three use cases:

1. Typing
2. Typing
3. Typing
Ah but had you considered using it to type?
[automerge]1587498474[/automerge]
Mine just came today. It’s an amazing accessory, no complains about it at all. I’m just not sure if I can find a use case for it given that I have a gaming desktop and a work laptop.

Seriously, why did you order something you don’t have a use for?

On an unrelated note, would you like to buy a brand new box of just released dust. I don’t know what you’d use it all for but that hasn’t stopped you so far.

Reactions: chabig

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I’m now using my iPad as a laptop, so that’s why I bought one as I’ll be using it in a variety of places and don’t want to carry an external keyboard and mouse. If I was just going to be using it at a desk or for content consumption I wouldn’t have bought it.

Same. I have a 5K iMac but found a few years ago that I no longer need a full laptop and switched to a 12.9” iPP as my ‘daily’ computer. The MK just makes it that much more full featured for my daily use. Loving it so far.

Reactions: ascender

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I'm confused. Just out of curiosity; can I ask why you would purchase it if you're not sure how you're going to be using it?
Seriously, why did you order something you don’t have a use for?

On an unrelated note, would you like to buy a brand new box of just released dust. I don’t know what you’d use it all for but that hasn’t stopped you so far.
Snarky. Apple offers a no questions asked return policy so people can figure out exactly how something will fit into their lives without having to think too hard about it up front. It's normal, it's a cost of doing business, and it's really silly to think people won't use that policy as intended.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Snarky. Apple offers a no questions asked return policy so people can figure out exactly how something will fit into their lives without having to think too hard about it up front. It's normal, it's a cost of doing business, and it's really silly to think people won't use that policy as intended.
I’m pretty sure they don’t intend people to buy something with zero intention or idea of how they would use it, only to return it because no, they have no need or use for it.

Reactions: chabig

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I'm confused. Just out of curiosity; can I ask why you would purchase it if you're not sure how you're going to be using it?
You’d be surprised at how many people bought this with no idea how they plan on using it. It’s yet another case of “New Apple Product during a Product Drought” syndrome. Nothing interesting has been happening for a while and suddenly I’m interested in AirTags that I’ll probably just glue to my AppleTV Remote.

Reactions: rkuo

jeromenism

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Haha man you guys are harsh. I purchased it because i wanted to make the most out of my new iPad Pro, but so far i have yet to use it as much for productivity as i thought i would. Hence the purchase of the keyboard. I might return the pencil instead of the keyboard as I realised i hardly use that...

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
The Magic Keyboard w/ trackpad is a game changer for iPad productivity. Pair the iPad with a remote desktop application, and you now have a Windows 10 machine...a Linux machine...even a MacOS machine...The keyboard & particularly now the trackpad, make this a reality that is perfectly usable and is honestly virtually indistinguishable in experience.

Aside from that aspect, my secondary reason would be to touch the screen less. Yes, the iPad is a touchscreen. And yes, it is generally meant to be touched like all the time. However, any time I can take my greasy fingers off the screen, I’ll take that opportunity. My hands are actually clean & dry, but nevertheless they may as well be greasy with all of the smudges that quickly smear up the screen...

A tertiary reason would be lap stability. It can be a bit heavy to hold a 12.9“ for long durations. And the folio / keyboard folio just doesn’t sit very stable on a lap. The MK is completely different, it feels like a laptop - rock steady.

If all of this is not enough, two words: It floats.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
The trackpad. I've been using a Magic Trackpad 2 with the iPad, and it's wonderful. Now, I can have that capability built into an easy to carry keyboard case/cover.

Also, typing and keyboard control. I hate typing on the screen. I've been using a Smart Keyboard Folio, but I expect to love this new Magic Keyboard so much more.
[automerge]1587569659[/automerge]

I recently ordered an Apple Watch from Costco, and the Apple box was completely empty on delivery. I'm loving my box of dust. :)

(Costco is shipping a replacement)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.