use cash when buying Macbook Pro at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kyle9859, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Kyle9859 macrumors newbie

Kyle9859

I plan on going in the morning to purchase a Macbook Pro 17, but I was wondering if the apple store took cash. Has anyone paid with cash before? Also is there any conflicts with using a student discount and do I just need to show them my student I.D. to get the discount?

I just received the funds in the form of a check, and I can either cash the check or put it into my bank account. (no credit cards) The problem with putting it into my bank account is that the money is not accessible for 24 hours... meaning I have to wait another day (been waiting for 3 months) and Its also a hassle to meet with the accounting dept to get my daily spending limit raised to 2500$, which means I have to wait another 24 hours, and since the bank isn't open on Saturdays, I would have to actually wait 72 hours...

Long story short, I wanna pay cash and get the computer same day.

2. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

I guess you could if you wanted to, but I personally wouldn't carry around $2000 in my wallet.

3. keewee macrumors newbie

4. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

You will have to go up to the front counter obviously. Might have to wait in line. I bought my iPad this way. Nothing wrong with paying cash money. :)

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

What kind of crazy-assed bank are you doing business with?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Of course they take cash. It'd be pretty queer if they didn't.

7. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

You should go to the bank again and pull out the money needed for the purchase in rolls of quarters and pay that way.

They cant say not to sale of $2000+

8. mienna macrumors newbie

Any bank will hold onto the money till the check "clears", even though it can be done electronically in an instant. Banking laws differ by state, but for large amounts, many banks can hold that money for 7 to 11 business days with you unable to access it. Depends on where the check was written from and where it's being deposited to.

9. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Carrying 100lbs worth of quarters doesn't sound smart.

10. Jmouse macrumors 6502

11. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Thats not the point though ;)

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Some people dont read...I know your pain OP. I had to fight the bank to allow me to put my MBP on my card, had to make special meetings with the bank manager and everything since I had to order online and didnt have an option of paying with cash. But I would just go in with cash and walk out happy :)

13. mienna macrumors newbie

Yeah, but if I was the manager, I'd tell you to drag your 125 pounds of quarters out of my store and come back with 5.5 pounds of dollar bills! ;)

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The hold on cash, is an industry wide practice due to a litany of reasons. Perhaps you've not dealt with much cash.

I prefer to pay cash at the Apple Store when I buy a computer. It's always been quite easy. That said the OP's question is quite reasonable as more people are living outside their means via credit cards.

We read about it here all the time. Fanbois that have to sell their existing phone or computer before they can buy the replacement.

When one's priority is something they can barely afford, it's very revealing.

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The bank holding money has nothing to do with the check clearing...they also deny charges over X amount...I think my bank is something like $500 charge is maximum. My bank also has a maximum withdrawal limit from ATMs and such per day at like $1500 or something so when my total order was $3100 I had to get all kinds of special permission to use my card.

16. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

That would never happen. Mainly because: I'd do it myself and get it on camera and throw it up on youtube.

If word got to upper management that a store manager refused to take legit funds, there would be either firings, lectures, suspensions or demotions (or a combination of those).

You don't say no to $2,000 dollars.

17. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i personally wouldnt have that amount of cash on hand but in your situation, you should have no problem as long as you dont lose it or get randomly jumped in the parking lot??? good luck!!! ;)

18. mienna macrumors newbie

It absolutely does have to do with the check clearing. There are specific transactions that MUST be credited to the account by the next business day (direct deposit, US Treasury checks, state or local government checks, etc.) A "nonlocal" check deposited into your account may be held up to 5 business days, save for the first $100.

Although they may place a hold on the funds for several other reasons not related to that at all.

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Different banks have different policies...you can cash the check and deposit it and have access to it immediately. What the OP is talking about on the hold is the debit card limit.

20. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

For those choosing to pay by cash in an Apple store, make sure and get a physical receipt printed out, do not agree to having the sales guy arrange an email only receipt. Insist on the printed one too.

At least half the times I've got them to do me an email receipt those email ones have never shown up. Could be a real pita if your looking to claim back costs from employer etc

21. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

You can pay with cash but if, for whatever reason, you require a refund that will have to be mailed to you in check form. So it's doable but don't plan on getting full refund if it's not what you want.

22. mienna macrumors newbie

He is indeed talking about the debit card limit, but he also mentions that the bank will put a hold on the check when he deposits it. You are also correct in that many banks do have differing policies regarding the availability of money after check deposits. For example, my sister and I were both given $5000 (thanks Grandma!) and deposited the checks within a day of each other. My money was available the next business day, while the bank held hers for 5 business days (her balance had gone negative for a few days two months before). The bank could have held my money for the same timeframe.

----------

I see that my attempt at a joke failed! :rolleyes:

Putting aside the idea that even doing this would be a total dick move, and then taping it and putting it on the internet would be a gargantuan dick move; the manager has to consider way more than "saying no to $2,000 dollars." Does he make a night drop deposit after close of business? Is the receptacle for the night drop large enough to accept giant bags of coins? Is the person making the deposit physically able to transport said coins?

I'd hazard a guess that if the manager was polite and courteous and requested that you bring a method of payment that wasn't extremely inconvienient, that upper management wouldn't fire, lecture, suspend, or demote anybody.

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Wrong.

I paid cash in the store, then returned the MBP on instruction from the genius due to a defect. Long story short, they exchanged it 3 times and all were bad. I was refunded the full price I paid.

Method of payment is irrelevant. 100% refund, no problem.

24. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

I payed my $2000 something MBP cash. I was actually the only customer in the store thank God. Cashier even called out the manager to count the money. After she counted about ten times. I got my precious machine :) Nothing wrong with paying cash although it might attract some attention. I only did so because I had just cashed in a check and the bank where I did and I was so desperate I wasn't going to go deposit to wait a few hours maybe even days.