Use CCCloner instead of migration asst.?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 3wood, Jan 17, 2016.

1. 3wood macrumors member

3wood

Making the switch from 2011 iMac to recently purchased 2012 MBPro. iMac is running El Capitan and MBP has a copy of El Cap freshly installed by seller.

I'm planning to format the MBP internal SSD and then using Carbon Copy Cloner, I will move a clone of the iMac onto the newly formatted MBP internal SSD.

I am a regular CCC user and have been for years which is why I'd prefer to make the transfer using it instead of migration assistant which I've never used.......... UNLESS there are any disadvantages to making the transfer with CCC.

My question is.....is there any reason not to make this transfer in this manner rather than use migration assistant?

Will appreciate any thoughts/advice.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Basic reason is that in one case you're migrating the OS along with the apps and data, in the other, you'll have a clean install of the OS.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Be sure to go into System Preferences -> Network and change the machine name so you do not have two identically named machines on the network at the same time. No disadvantage other than that for the CCC cloning.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No disadvantage at all given you are one the same OS version.

5. 3wood thread starter macrumors member

3wood

Thanks everybody. Will let you know how it goes. I know I'm gonna like the USB 3.0 ports on the MBP. That's part of the reason the 2011 iMac 27 must go along with needed portability. Going from 27" to 15", I'll miss all that screen real estate though. Might be a good sized external monitor on the horizon once I digest current purchases.
    BTW, my avatar is one of my feistier granddaughters (of which I am lucky enough to have 5).
    Thank you again,
    Reed
    Sunday, January 17, 2016 11:44:18 AM EST

6. 3wood thread starter macrumors member

3wood

Appreciate the answers and advice. All done. MBP running great. Haven't owned it a week yet, but the machine is impressive (MC976LL/A) 2012. I bought it on ebay from a seller who sells used units. Price was fair, service was excellent, unit I received appears like new and functions great. Glad to pass on his name/company via email if asked. I'm not a shill for him. He's in CA.....I in VA. I just felt they were professional and deserved mention.
    Good health!
    Reed
    Sunday, January 17, 2016 2:10:10 PM EST