Use cellphone instead of airport ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ritte, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Ritte macrumors regular

Hi, I have big problems with my airport droping.
    I've a Nokia N95, can I use the W-lan of the phone instead of my airport.

2. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

What kind of computer do you have? (iBook, PowerBook, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or something else?)

3. kolax macrumors G3

You are being too vague.

You have AirPort problems - so you must be connecting wirelessly to a router. Therefore you have an internet connection coming into your place. Why on earth would you want to use the internet via your mobile phone? It'll cost a bomb for a start, and mount up to more since you already have an internet connection.

Try changing the transmission channel on your wireless router. I've found that channel 7 on my AirPort Extreme causes my wireless to drop on my Mac. Changed to a different channel and no problems at all now.

4. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Actually, I heard from my co-worker just today that there's a piece of software available for Nokia-smartphones that turns the phone in to WLAN-accesspoint, and the access to the internet is handled by the phones 3G-connection. So you could use your iPod touch (or MacBook) to connect to the phone through WLAN and then surf the web through the phones 3G-connection.

5. Ritte thread starter macrumors regular

But can't I access the internet without 3G-connection ? Can't I use the wifi on my N95 like a wifi-stick ?

Btw, i have a MBP.

6. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Um, you are having issues with Wifi. Wouldn't it be logical to think that those Wifi-problems would persist on the phone as well?

I think that hooking up WiFi-enabled phone on your WiFi-enabled laptop and using the phone's WiFi for net-connection is kludgy in the extreme.