Use Celluar data but with WIFI ON

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by EJSCFP, Oct 14, 2013.

1. EJSCFP macrumors newbie

Hello, It is possible to use the cellular data but with the WiFi on? A few days ago I was surfing the net and my internet provider have a problem and I was with out the service for a few hours. I use my iPhone with my Apple TV but the phone use the WiFi data instead of the cellular data. All I want is to use is the cellular data with the WIFI on.

Thanks and sorry for my English

EJSCFP

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If your internet is out, just turn wifi off on your phone and it will let you browse the internet or do whatever using cellular data. If you leave wifi switched on, it will stay connected to your router - if you don't have internet, it'll connect to your router but you'll have no connection to the internet (the router still works, though). So just turn off wifi on your iPhone, and you'll be good to go.

If you're using it to stream to your Apple TV, just beware that it will use large chunks of your data plan, so hopefully you have unlimited data.

3. EJSCFP thread starter macrumors newbie

Celluar Data with WIFI On

Thanks for your help, what I need is to connect my iphone to the Apple TV using WIFI but use the Cellular Data from my iphone. I have unlimited Data.

EJSCFP

4. tacoman667 macrumors regular

You need to tether the phone to your AppleTV. That's most likely an extra cost on your cellular service provider though unless you jailbreak your phone and install a tethering application.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

tacoman is correct. Sounds like you want tethering. Will need to be added to your current plan with your provider, and will likely be an additional fee added to your monthly bill.

Once you have tethering added by your carrier, you can then use your iPhone as a hotspot and allow your Apple TV to connect to it and utilize your cellular data plan.

Not sure where you're located, but most carriers throttle after 3-5GB of usage, so this is another consideration considering streaming things to Apple TV will use quite a bit of data (if it's video)

6. Mrbobb, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  7. EJSCFP thread starter macrumors newbie

Not realy tethering

All I want to do is mirroring my iphone connected to my Apple TV using WIFI and the Iphone using cellular data.

Thanks
    EJSCFP

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

We know what you want, but you won't be able to if your wifi is on. It's either all or none. It can't differentiate between local router data and outside internet connections. If wifi is on, it will attempt to use it for all connections.

9. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Am I missing something here?

Why can't OP just turn wifi off on the phone and use airplay to mirror the iphone to the apple tv? That's precisely what his last post just said he wanted to do. I fail to see the problem.

10. EJSCFP thread starter macrumors newbie

Air Play and Wifi

Thanks for all your help, I think that in order to use Air Play I need to turn on Wifi.

EJSCFP

11. DefBref macrumors 6502

Yes your missing something, airplay works over wifi, so turning wifi off = no airplay.

The Op wants to use wifi and cellualr data at the same time, which he can't.

12. tacoman667 macrumors regular

Maybe the OP could disconnect from the wifi router but still use Airplay? I am not sure if Airplay is wifi direct or needs to go through a local network.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Unfortunately you can't. That is the limitation of airplay and the only way to connect to the aTV. THe only way would be to tether.

You are missing all of it. The problem is it can't be done unless you tether.

14. hkgans macrumors newbie