Use different appleID for ECG

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
hi, living in Europe I am afraid the new ECG functionality will be something we have to wait for a long time. So I was thinking: would it be possible for me to change my AppleID’s country to the United States, download the new Heart App with ECG (when it’s released) and then move back the country?

Would be very nice to have it as soon as it’s available. Anyone who knows if this will work?

Reactions: Simacca

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
hi, living in Europe I am afraid the new ECG functionality will be something we have to wait for a long time. So I was thinking: would it be possible for me to change my AppleID’s country to the United States, download the new Heart App with ECG (when it’s released) and then move back the country?

Would be very nice to have it as soon as it’s available. Anyone who knows if this will work?
The speculation is you would change your Apple ID to the US on both the watch and on the phone.

You would then set your measurement units and date formats back from the default US formats.

I don't know if it would continue working if your changed the region back after downloading it though.

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
There is no-one who has tried this already? I know that in a kind of the same way it works with Apple Pay. I've set my watch to Italy (which has Apple Pay support), added my Italian debit card, and then moved back from Italian to Dutch region settings. Apple Pay still works and is still visible. I hope it works the same way with Apple Health features..?

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
There is no-one who has tried this already?
ECG isn't out yet, so unless you find a beta tester who would be breaking their NDA by posting about it on a public forum, nobody is going to know for sure.

If it does work, and you do need to have a US account on your phone, the good news is you can have US apps on your phone even after swapping back to your native ID. At least I have been when I've used IDs from other countries to try limited release apps.

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
People often wonder why electrocardiogram is abbreviated as EKG instead of ECG. The reason is that ECG sounds very similar to EEG, which is the abbreviation for electroencephalogram, a test that measures electrical activity in the brain.

I can't wait tell I am able to strap my Watch to my head to see if my brain is working :)

Reactions: Smurphy Gherkin

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
People often wonder why electrocardiogram is abbreviated as EKG instead of ECG. The reason is that ECG sounds very similar to EEG, which is the abbreviation for electroencephalogram, a test that measures electrical activity in the brain.

I can't wait tell I am able to strap my Watch to my head to see if my brain is working :)
Actually, both ECG and EKG can be used interchangeably.

Also, if you’re going to quote a website, you should at least give said website credit.