Use DVD Player without a DVD drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macinthass, Apr 18, 2011.

1. macinthass macrumors newbie

I replaced the optical drive in my 2011 MBP 15" with an SSD Drive. I found a hack for running DVD player with an external instead of internal DVD drive, but I have been unable to find a solution for running DVD Player without a DVD drive connected.

I usually rip DVD rentals to watch them later and I prefer DVD player over against VLC. Is there a hack/solution that allows me to open/run DVD Player with no DVD drive connected?

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Just use MacTheRipper to rip them, and then you can drag the resulting folder into DVD Player and it will play as if you had a DVD in the machine.

3. macinthass thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not have trouble ripping the movie, but I cannot open/play anything in DVD player because it checks for either and ext./int. DVD drive which I usually do NOT have connected. So when I try to open/play the ripped DVD, DVD player quits "A valid DVD drive could not be found."

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

VLC

Also run the ripped iso through Handbrake on the ATV2 setting and cut the filesize down with little loss in visible quality.

5. macinthass thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank for the response, but are you guys reading my post??? Doesn't seem so... I know that I can run VLC but that is not the desired goal. We want to run DVD Player without having a DVD drive connected. Is there a way to bypass the device check when launching DVD player?

6. mikepro macrumors 6502

7. macinthass thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so in other words, there is NO way of running DVD Player when no DVD drive is hooked up?

I love the slick design of DVD Player and while VLC is much more powerful, the interface is ugly by comparison.

8. johnnj macrumors 6502a

How about Plex? It's got much nicer UI than VLC and it'll play pretty much anything (within reason).

9. vetman35 macrumors member

Just a thought, but have you tried FrontRow? (Command-ESC)

What about remote disc? Share a DVD from another Mac?

I ISO all of my DVDs using DVD Shrink in Windows.

10. superericla macrumors 6502

Just rip the movie using mactheripper or ripit or another dvd ripper then add the extension ".dvdmedia" to the end of the resulting video_ts folder. That way you can double click the resulting file and it will open in DVD Player.

11. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

If you mean viewing DVD's from the hard drive after you've copied them then yes.

1.) Simply creata an empty folder... My Movie (or something).

2.) Drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the disk to the My Movie folder. (It copies).

3.) Add the ".dvdmedia" extension to the My Movie folder.

Click it and DVD Player should open it like the original DVD.

12. superericla macrumors 6502

Is this not what I just suggested? Good job nonetheless. haha :p

13. macinthass thread starter macrumors newbie

Would be nice if it worked, but it simply doesn't!

I do NOT(!) have trouble creating .dvdmedia archive... BUT I can only open this in DVD player if a DVD drive is connected. Otherwise you get the "There was an initialization error - A valid DVD drive could not be found" error message.

Again. Most if not all of you guys, do have an internal DVD drive. I do not! I exchanged it for a SSD drive and use it only as an external drive.

DVD player has a checkup built-in that scans for an internal drive when you launch the app. If it cannot find one, it gives you the error message above.

There is a script that allows you to run DVD player with an external instead of internal drive but I have not yet found one that disables this startup check entirely. That is what I need. Any ideas?

14. play4god macrumors newbie

play4god

Same prob

I'm having the same problem. I've replaced both of my internal drives (HDD and DVD) with Hybrid SSDs (Seagate Momentus XTs).
    I have the SuperDrive in an external enclosure, so I *can* connect it, and DVD Player starts up fine.

The core issue is that I *don't want to* connect it to start up DVD Player, because I want to play already-ripped DVDs directly from an internal drive.

Any way to set something that will disable the startup check? (this is the core question originally asked in this thread).

15. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Strange you're paying more attention to the DVD player interface than the movie itself.

16. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Yes there is a way. Try this:
    http://hardwrk.com/en/Tips-Tricks/

17. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Works with a USB drive hooked up, but not if there is no drive hooked up.

DVD player will not work unless there is a physical DVD drive.

Use VLC.

18. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

You're right. Thanks

19. snaky69 macrumors 603

I've always found DVDplayer to be quirky at best, having a lot of trouble reading most DVD's without stuttering, I use VLC instead, honestly, the UI lasts for 15 seconds and then you press Play.