Use external HDD on Mac Pro for MacBook Time Machine backup over network?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SSD-GUY, Jan 8, 2013.

1. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

Question is in the title really. I have a MacBook but I don't want to buy another external hard drive to save back ups on to.

Furthermore I would prefer not having to physically connect the MacBook to the Western Digital external HDD via USB to back it up, can I not back it up over my network (my MacBook can access my Mac Pro files and the Western Digital HDD files through Finder perfectly)

Thanks

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have my WD MyBook HDD plugged into my AirPort Extreme base station and I'm able to use it for my Time Machine backups with no problems. Apple does not support it, but it works.

3. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have an AirPort Extreme, and tbh, even if I did, I would prefer my current setup as I connect my external HDD via FireWire 800 to my Mac Pro.

Any other suggestions? Would be much appreciated!

:apple:

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

If you are asking whether or not you can use an external which is connected to your MacPro to back up the MBP over the network, the answer is yes.

1. You'll need to leave your MP on all the time & make sure that it's set to wake-on-LAN-access.

2. If you plan on using the same drive to back up both machines, then partition it and set up TM for one computer on one partition, and then a separate TM instance on the other partition for the other computer.

3. On the laptop, add the partition you want to use on the MBP to the start-up items list under your user account so that when you restart or log-in the computer will automatically connect to that drive.

___

5. el-John-o macrumors 65816

It can be made to work, though be warned there have been horror stories about not being able to restore from a backup, suddenly no longer working, etc. etc.

I wish Apple would better support network backups.

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

The easiest way is to install OS X Server on the Mac Pro. That will allow you to specify the Mac Pro as a Time Machine destination (part of the settings lets you specify a folder on the Mac Pro where backups will be stored.)

If you do it this way you won't have to bother adding drive mappings, etc. as login/startup items. The TM destination will be broadcast to the network.

I've been using this method to backup my two MBP's to my Mac mini for just over a year now. I've done numerous migrations and restores from this setup over that time with no issues.

7. el-John-o macrumors 65816

^ I didn't know OSX Server 'officially' supported making a drive a Time Machine drive. With all the horror stories I've read about trying to do it 'unofficially', that sounds like the way to go. For $20, OP, that's what I'd do!