use flash cs4 and final cut pro on $999 macbook model with upgrades?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by luzzerylavender, Feb 28, 2009.

1. luzzerylavender macrumors newbie

Looking at the $999 model macbook, primarily to use Final Cut Pro and Flash CS4 on the go.

If I upgrade ram to 4 gigs, and expand hard drive to 160, should it be enough to handle flash cs4 and Final Cut?

I'd like to make flash cartoons in different places instead of the desktop.

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Buy the upgrades from NewEgg to save a lot of money.

4GB RAM - $39.99

3. johndavidwright macrumors member

well look at it this way.. i have a macbook 2.16 ghz, 2 gb ram, 120 hd and i run final cut studio, adobe cs3, mostly photoshop, illustrator, and flash. theres a little lag every now and then but it runs great for the most part. so i say go for it. the $999 macbooks also come with 9400m graphics now so you should be fine.

4. luzzerylavender thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so ideally the 2gb ram would suffice for now.

5. johndavidwright macrumors member

it depends on how deep you get into cs3 since its more memory intensive than fcp. i guess you can say im a mild user. i dont get that intense with photoshop. i mainly use lightroom. but yea 2gb of ram works for me. if my computer took 4gb i would definitely have it. but its up to you. whatever you do though, get kingston ram off of newegg.com. its the best ram i have (and a couple of my friends) ever used. i got 2gb for $25.

6. luzzerylavender thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am animating a full length cartoon, black and white on cs3. Edit on Final Cut. So its over 70 minutes of pieced together clips, maybe it wouldn't hurt to do 4gb ram. And ya I'll definitely go for cheaper ram. Shouldn't be too hard to click it in there myself, which I've never done with a laptop.

7. johndavidwright macrumors member

yea i would go 4gb ram. and yea its not that hard. if you would like step by step instructions, ifixit.com has some here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/MacBook-Core-2-Duo-RAM/512/1

8. luzzerylavender thread starter macrumors newbie

9. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

upgrade the harddrive yourself. Get a 320 or 500 GB drive and throw the old one into an external enclosure. The whole thing should cost 100-130 bucks.