"Use for Development" missing

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Nermal, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying my hand at iOS development and have become stuck at the very first hurdle! :(

Apple's documentation says that I need to set up a certificate, and suggests doing it like this:

However, if I go into Xcode > Window > Organiser, there's no option called "Use for Development". Is the phone supposed to show up in there? I get the "connected" noise when I plug the phone in, and iTunes sees it, but it's not showing up in the Organiser (is it supposed to?)

What am I missing? :)

Edit: I forgot to say that the phone DOES show up in Window > Devices, so Xcode IS seeing it, but it's just not appearing in the Organiser.

Attached Files:

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I haven't done this in a long time, but I would go to the window where it is shown up, click on it, and look for the "Use for Development" button.

3. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Devices have been moved out of the Organizer window and into their own window called Window > Devices. Look there.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Qs: What iPhone? Running what version of iOS? What version of Xcode?

----------

Ah, yes. Apple docs, once again, outdated. :(

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The phone shows up in Devices, but there's no Use for Development button there either.

iPhone 6, 8.3 public beta 2, Xcode 6.2.

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I can't help you without a screenshot. Maybe others can, if they've done this more recently.

7. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Fair enough.

Clicking on the yellow ! does nothing, and the context menu only has "Rename", "Show in Run Destinations Menu" and "Show Provisioning Profiles" (which also has no "Use for Development" option).

Attached Files:

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

It looks like the button was already pressed, to me.

What's the next step?

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I believe you need to be using Xcode 6.3 beta if you want to access a device running iOS 8.3 beta.

10. Nermal, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Aha! Going to 6.3 has helped, but it's still not working.

The Use for Development button isn't present in 6.3 either, but I can get further by attempting to build my app - in 6.2 it said something about the device not being eligible, but in 6.3 it says that there are no certificates and asks whether I'd like it to fix the issue.

When I asked it to fix it, it presented a login window, then sat on "resolving code signing issues" for about a minute before telling me that I don't have a valid certificate. I tried a second time and now instead of waiting a minute, it's telling me that I "already have a current iOS Development certificate or a pending certificate request". It's been doing that for about five minutes; is a certificate request supposed to take seconds, minutes, hours?

Edit: This page is showing the certificate as "Pending Approval". Looks like I just need to wait it out. Thanks for your help :)

Edit 2: After a little Googling, I get the impression that the approval needs to come from the account administrator. It therefore looks like I'll be waiting until next week (as the account is through work).

11. DennisBlah macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

I'm actually facing the same issue. Before you could let xCode register the device to your account. Nowdays this button is gone, and I have to do this manually. And update the development profile.
    (I made a wildcard profile for simple deployment on connected devices (which already are registered) )

But.. because we have a enterprise account, I just generate the .ipa and install it by itunes or apple configurator.

12. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

@Nermal, if this is a business account then the team agent or a team admin has to approve adding developers or devices to the team.

All the team admins will receive an email letting them know that this is pending and it only takes a short time to approve the request but they have to do it.