use for express card slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Icarus73, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Icarus73 macrumors regular

Hello, Just got my new MBP 4 days ago. Loving every bit of it.

I've noticed it has this fancy shmancy express card slot on the side. As I've had an iBook G4 for the last 3 years, i've been use to using only the basics...

What kinds of express card items are there that I could find use out of? I use my computer for audio production and general use.

Thanks.

2. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I've seen a 8 gb express memory card that fits right in. For me, my media memory card reader stays in the slot 24/7. Whenever I take some new pictures, I pop the card out of my Nikon, and shove it into the card reader for uploading.

3. Icarus73 thread starter macrumors regular

hey thanks!

i may have use for an 8GB portable storage unit once I start at UNL this fall. And a memory card reader would be quite nice, as I'm thinking about getting a new digital camera.
    :apple:

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I've used this memory card for my camera. It flips to reveal a usb plug. No need for wires or card reader.

I was skeptical at first that it would break or get scratched and stop working. But I've had it for a couple years and it's worked great.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You use it from anything from memory card readers to eSATA, Firewire, USB, cellular data, SSDs, etc. Anything that will fit in the 34 slot and has drivers for OS X.

6. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Also, you can store couple pieces of Trident gum in the slot. Orbit might work too.

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

You can get a USB card reader very cheap. Is it that much faster using one of the Express Card readers over the USB?

8. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I am not sure, I like the express media card reader because it is convenient, it stays in my MBP 24/7. Unlike a USB card reader, I don't have to remember to bring it during my travels, or even get the thing out and hook it up. I take the card out of my camera, and put it right into the express card reader.

9. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

So are they like flush, or do they stick out a bit from the side of the laptop?

10. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

The one I have is flushed with the laptop. However my SD card sticks out when inserted. I think you can see if from here.

[​IMG]

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

What is the Brand/Model of the one you are using. I was looking at a Sandisk and they run like $25.

12. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

13. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Really? SSD for express card slot? Where? I gotta go google for this.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mind you, you can't boot off of it and it's horrendously slow.

15. a4abt macrumors regular

I bought a 16GB card for my MBP. I put videos on it, so those videos won't use my hard drive space!

16. a4abt macrumors regular

Bought mine from Amazon.com

It is kind of slow to put files on it (not THAT slow, but slower than a USB2 drive). It reads fine however, perfect for playing videos.

17. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

DSLR - CF reader needed

Has anyone tried one of these before?

Having a Canon means that I have a huge CF card. A reader to go into my camera bag would free up a USB port...

18. Jozone macrumors 6502

Personally, I'd opt for a eSata card as they can be found relatively cheap, and give you another option for fast backups in the absence of enough fw800 based external HDs.

19. !on macrumors member

as already mentioned, card readers & cellular data... the latter being of significant use - 3g express card. like phones, quite expensive on their own, but usually free with contract. i no like contracts, but want mobile internet, so, toying with the idea... don't think they're available on a payg basis though :mad:

20. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

3G Mobile Internet and a Card Reader are the best options.

3G Mobile is available on Pay as you Go in the Uk, but for much more than light use, i imagine a contract is far better.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or can you just connect the camera to the computer with a USB cable ;)

22. krisis1 macrumors member

I've got an eSATA-expresscard in my MBP, works nicely.

However I always wondered, the expresscard slot is basically a PCI Express-slot and a USB interface in 1 connector, why hasn't someone made a passive (no electronics, just regular cables inside) expresscard/34 to USB adapter? If they could make it flush mount in the MBP, it would mean another USB port available, always handy and it really shouldn't cost a lot to build.

23. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

that is the exact point of having an express card media reader. You don't have to bust out the camera, taking space on your desk, and fiddle with the USB cable, winding and unwinding.

I hate CF cards! Why are they so huge? Aren't they extinct?

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Heh, I like CF cards...

Well they are big and still support because you can get them in bigger capacities first and they have space inside of high-speed read/write mechanisms. Those Extreme IV cards from Sandisk are as fast a SSDs; you can't get that speed from an SD or anything; professionals need the speed and CF is where it's at.

25. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

ah gotcha. My dad's D100 uses CF, my D40 uses SD, didn't know why! Thanks!