iPad mini Use for iPad mini having iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by themetnut, May 16, 2014.

1. themetnut macrumors member

Hi everyone, trying to get some opinions on this, I have a cellular iPad 3, and i was lucky enough to win an iPad mini. Is there a use for the mini if i already have the iPad 3? Thanks for your thoughts!

2. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

3. themetnut thread starter macrumors member

4. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

I found that I much preferred the Mini to the old style iPad.

That being said, my Air has knocked the Mini out of the main spot.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Similar experience here. I had the mini and the 3 for a while. Used the mini when going out, and the 3 at home. But I now have the Air and am happily using it both at home and to take with me when I go out.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The iPad 3 has retina; the Mini does not. If that is something you would notice over the form factor; you should stick with the iPad 3. Or, you could sell both which would give you the dough to get close to pickup a retina iPad Mini or an iPad Air.

7. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Keep it as a backup. The 3 is bound to fail/become painfully slow to use/fail to hold charge very well eventually.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd sell it, I think you'll only use one iPad and the other will just collect dust. Why have something that will be unused when you can generate some cash from it. $.02

9. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Install it in a convenient location (with a detachable wall mount / case) and use it to control your Philips Hue lights or Sonos system, as a dedicated weather and indoor air quality display with netatmo or a video phone for the household.

10. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have a 3, and a rMini. Because of the weight of the 3, I rarely use it anymore. I think you will enjoy the mini, so don't throw it away just yet. :rolleyes:Try it out for a while.

11. themetnut thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, they should be announcing a new iPad in June right? Maybe I'll wait until then and sell both to get the new one

12. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Nope. October/November is the iPad and Mac event.

13. themetnut thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, well maybe I'll check into the iPad air, thanks guys!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, while many people hope for an iPad announcement in WWDC, its out of cycle to what Apple has done. We'll not see anything imo until the fall.

15. themetnut thread starter macrumors member

Well my wife saw the iPad mini and decided to usurp it lol that's ok though she likes it

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay, that's a wonderful use for the mini, lol. Good to hear she likes it. :)

17. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I have the 3, and purchased the rMini. The mini is my traveling iPad--really like the size and weight. The 3 stays at home and I use it occasionally. But even at home I use the rMini more . . .

18. themetnut thread starter macrumors member

So now that my wife has had her ipad mini for a while now, I'm starting to think about maybe trading in my iPad 3 for an iPad rMini. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If the smaller screen size doesn't bother you, then go for it. For myself, I find the mini screen too small to read comfortably, and I keep missing touch targets on the mini. But I have bad eye sight plus mobility problems. I imagine for people with normal vision and mobility, the mini is a great device.

20. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Both the iPad rMini and the iPad Air are marvelous devices. If you search back, you'll find multiple threads on this forum extolling and debating the advantages of both devices. The rMini, with the form factor of the mini which you're familiar, is amazingly portable, while having a high resolution screen and faster processor. The iPad Air, while not as small as the rMini, is still small and light while preserving the screen size off the 3. In your shoes, if I coiuld, I'd try to get a hold of an Air to try out. You may find that one or the other of the two devices calling to you. It's a matter of personal preference which device is superior.

21. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Some confusion in the replies you have received over whether the mini you won is a retina or the non-retina one.

I am very happy with my Retina mini and prefer it to my wife's iPad Air, but that was not true when I had the non-retina Mini.

If you want a use for it perhaps temporarily, treat the mini as Kindle. Books is actually my main use for it. It fits in a lot of coat pockets while the Air doesn't.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love the rMini, its a perfect form factor and great performance. I'd say go for it :D

Yes I'm biased towards the mini, but I think its a great tablet.

23. ron7624, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014

ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have an rMini and a 3. My wife has an iPad Air. I rarely use my 3. Too heavy and so much slower than the rMini that it is hard to even use the 3.
    My wife's Air is a great device but I prefer the rMini hands down. I'm using it now. I'm a man and can (and do) take the mini with me 24/7's. That can't be comfortably done with the 3.
    Get yourself a mini, you will not regret it. My eyesight is ok with trifocal glasses and the screen size of the mini is no problem.