Use G5 liquid cooling on a new build?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by QuantumLo0p, Dec 7, 2011.

1. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

IMO there is no other case that is as nice as the G5 PowerMac/MacPro cases are made and it would be quite fitting to use it for a Hackintosh build. I love the bare look of Aluminum and Ti as well.

Has anyone successfully used the liquid cooling from a dual 2.7 G5 PowerMac for a custom build? (I really should have looked at mine before posting a question but it's packed away at the moment so I thought I'd ask first.) I can't remember which models were susceptible to leakage but mine has never leaked.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is a really bad idea. There have been some successful liquid cooling systems, but have you seen what happens when that one leaks? It was just a bad design. A leak would completely short the system, and many people experienced leaks if they kept the machine long enough. I just wouldn't trust it (ever).

You could use the rest of the case. If you like you could even purchase a better cooling solution. I just don't recommend that one. Search old threads if you wish to know more.

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Not trying to sound mean at all but this is easily the worst mod idea (at least in terms of cooling) that I have ever heard. If you want to build a hackintosh in it I recommend either fan cooling or totally new/different LC hardware.

LC'ed G5's = worst liquid cooling ever engineered in the history of computing. Sad but true. The G5 CPU on their own are great but most if not all the supporting hardware is crap.

4. Subish macrumors member

I love the look of them also (reason I got a G5). I was going to do a mod also but I like the G5 so much I'm not going to touch it (this one anyways).

Back on the subject...

I wouldn't use the LC from the G5s just due to the problems they have and there are better LC option out there design for PC hardware.

5. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Please for the love of all that's holy DO NOT use the G5 LC in a build, as Zen said, IMO they're the worst liquid cooling systems ever... Seriously dude, steer clear. :eek:

6. QuantumLo0p thread starter macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Lol, I think I get the drift of your opinions on the G5 LC system. Just another quick question regard it...is the dual 2.7 the only model that used it? I have access to coolants that are non-conductive and non-corrosive. I don't think I said I planned on using the oem coolant. I know that was some nasty stuff when it made contact with anything electronic.

As for the case I am going ahead using it. It looks like I will have to mod the access for external connections but that's no big deal. The optical drive and the hdd bays are set to go. Just had a thought...since the case is aluminum, and there is a lot of surface area, I may try to dissipate heat to it. Or perhaps do some 3-D milling into it. At any rate it's a very nice starting point.

Now I need to decide on a X79 mono...
    :)

7. goMac macrumors 603

Honestly, an Intel processor runs much much cooler than any of the G5s. You shouldn't need that extreme of cooling, or need to distribute the heat over the case. The dual processor Xeon Mac Pros in the same case don't even need anything that elaborate, and the P4 developer Macs in the same case just had a single case fan.

8. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Yup, G5's themselves are good, but there's a lot of bad liquid cooling systems and capacitors in a lot of them.

9. QuantumLo0p thread starter macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I think you're right. I had thought about OC'ing to the moon but I don't think I want to reduce lifespan. The new Sandy Bridge E processors should turbo up quite a bit like the existing i5/i7 cpu's as well as not really needing more than air cooling. Now that I think about it, I have to imagine the Delphi LC unit is probably quite heavy as well so I could drop some weight.

I am really looking forward to using my old case. I use Siemens NX8 so I can create a parametric model of the complete case and make my changes. I have access to machining centers so I can perform the mods myself.