Use Ghost to clone my HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by albert2k, Apr 1, 2012.

1. albert2k macrumors newbie

I purchase yesterday my MBP 2.3 (early 2011) This came with a 320 GB Hard Disk. I'm thinks to purchase a new 1TB. My question is; Can I use ghost to clone my HD to install a new one?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You could, but there are better tools for Macs. Two of them are CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper. I use CCC often and have never had any problems with it, plus it's free.

3. albert2k thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, let me know if I understand. With ghost, I clone my old HD to the new one, then I removed the old one and install the new one and the laptp or PC start normally. Can I do this is CCC?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

5. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

6. mac jones, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

DON'T USE GHOST, except for Windows.

Everyone uses uses Carbon Copy Cloner ( CCC).

Cloning a Mac drive is the easiest thing imaginable. It's nothing like Windows. Two reasons for this:

1) No copy protection. This means you can run the same image on any number of machines. This makes life much easier.

2) You can run any of the clones off any external drive (Windows will only run off a internal drive): For instance; now with Thunderbolt you can clone your OS in a couple minutes, and then run it permanently off thunderbolt, as it's faster than your internal drive. You can run your OS off Firewire, USB, or Thunderbolt drives. You can also use a USB 3.0 drive if you have an express card adapter and the right drivers.

Also, since Apple makes it easier, the programs that do make clones (CCC), have a much easier time doing it, so they are very easy to use and are extremely reliable. Plug-and-play, so to speak.

Having said these things, you should of course always pay for everything, as it's not expensive and it makes you feel better.

7. afgarza macrumors newbie

Question...
    Time machine wont help doing this??
    the other tools are better than TM??

8. simsaladimbamba

TM will not create a bootable backup, but CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper! can.
    TM will also create another step.

TM:
    1. Backup old internal HDD to extra HDD.
    2. Put in new HDD.
    3. Boot from install DVD
    4. Make a TM restore​

Cloning:
    1. Clone old HDD to new HDD
    2. Put in new HDD
    3. Boot from new HDD​

9. albert2k thread starter macrumors newbie

I already download the CCC, I'm waiting for the new HD arrive to made this change.