Use godaddy given email address if using MobileMe?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CEH, Sep 16, 2008.

1. CEH macrumors newbie

You have a newbie here trying to get a website up and running...

So I have bought a domain name from GoDaddy and put up a temp site on the free hosting that comes when you buy your domain name with them. I also set up an email account, which was also free when I bought the domain name, which is myname@mydomainname.com Now I just built a new website using the new iweb and am trying to decide how to get it hosted. The one click publishing that comes when you have iweb and mobileMe is very attractive since I am an internet/website idiot.

But I am curious, will I be able to keep that email address I mentioned (myname@mydomainname.com) if I use MobileMe to host my site? I have been told I can keep my domain name if I use MobileMe, that is correct, right?

I might need a layman's explanation...Is it that when people go to my domain name, they will just be forwarded to my MM page by godaddy? Will it still say my domain name at the top of Safari? Is that what "masking" is? Am I essentially terminating my interaction with GoDaddy by using MM and handing over control to MM or am I still using/paying GoDaddy to "forward" people to my new site?

Sorry, I am an idiot with this stuff. I am just not sure if using MM is the right choice if I loose the email and domain name. It's just the one click publishing that is sooo attractive! I really cant figure out how to do the FTP thing (or whatever it is called...haha)

Thanks soo much for any info/insight. You guys are so very helpful to us newbies.

CEH

2. ndstrenge macrumors regular

as a fellow newbie and html idiot, I found GoDaddy to be a nightmare. Every time I logged into my account, I felt like a complete moron.

I can't answer your question about MM, but I just wanted to say that you can keep your domain name and email address if you just switch hosts. (godaddy just remains your register for your domain... there's really no reason to change that.)

life has been wonderful since I switched over to Globat as my host. It's amazing how easy it is. Their online chat support rules, too.

After experience with both hosts, I will continue to bag on GoDaddy. What a royal PITA they are.

(again, we're newbies here, a lot of my problems are surely user-error)

3. CEH thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks fellow newbie...

thanks man. Us newbies got a lot to learn!

So can anyone confirm that I can keep my email address with my domain name in it if I switch to MM? ex: Me@mydomainname.com

Thanks
    c