"Use Hardware Acceleration When Available" in Google Chrome

Benz63amg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I have a new 2019 iMac and this specific setting seems to be enabled in Google Chrome on my iMac, should that feature be on or off?

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
For heaven's sake, man, turn it off. You'll never be able to actually use all six cores at 100 percent if you browse using hardware acceleration. You paid for those cores-- and now they're going to sit idle while your video card offers to do the "hard work" of decoding a video stream? That's insulting, that's what it is.;)

People who don't wish to push their computers to the limit will usually advise leaving it on, and only switching it off to resolve strange and buggy behavior.

Benz63amg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
For heaven's sake, man, turn it off. You'll never be able to actually use all six cores at 100 percent if you browse using hardware acceleration. You paid for those cores-- and now they're going to sit idle while your video card offers to do the "hard work" of decoding a video stream? That's insulting, that's what it is.;)

People who don't wish to push their computers to the limit will usually advise leaving it on, and only switching it off to resolve strange and buggy behavior.
Whoa, So the "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available" needs to be most certainly OFF in order to get the absolute best web browsing experience on my new 2019 iMac? my iMac has the Radeon 580X Video Card and a 9th Gen i5 Processor.

Why is the "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available" in google chrome even Enabled by default then?!

Can someone else chime in on this and please confirm if indeed turning "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available" OFF is the proper thing to do for best performance in google chrome on the new 2019 iMac

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Try viewing a 4k youtube video with hardware acceleration on and off. Use "Stats for geeks" to keep track of dropped frames.
Choose the setting that gives you the better experience.
Disabling that hardware acceleration settings basically takes the load off the GPU and passes it onto the CPU instead which is supposed to be more capable in handling HD 4k youtube video and overall web browsing?

I just tried a 5k video (
) on youtube with the setting enabled and disabled and the frame rate was smoother with Hardware Acceleration ON, i dont know the exact frame rate i was getting but it appeared smoother than with hardware acceleration OFF. What should be my takeaway from this test? I should just set hardware acceleration in google chrome to be enabled afterall?

Last edited:

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
The takeaway is that you should choose the setting which gives you the best overall experience--in your case, (and in most peoples cases), this would be "on."