Use HDMI / Airplay video while on other apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Tuck, Apr 2, 2012.

1. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Hi, I think my question is pretty self-explanatory. Anyone know if there is a way to continue to stream a video to a TV via HDMI adapter or Airplay while being able to browse the web, check other apps, etc? Or is the mirroring always exactly that - mirroring?

Don't have an iPad, so I can't answer this for myself.

Thanks!
    Tuck

2. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

While I haven't tried it with hdmi yet, I can definitely send YouTube videos to my Apple TV, then close YouTube and browse in Safari. I was actually quite surprised when this worked :)

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This works pretty well :) The issue lies in the moment that you open/switch to an app that has sound output (playing or not), it will stop your video/music from playing. In particular, this bugs me when I try to do other things while Airplaying a Plex video.

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

No, the airplay is built to be playback only. You can't run airplay in the background since iDevices don't have true multitasking.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Anandtech iPad Review

6. Abandapart82 macrumors member

Can you stream HBO go through Apple TV with an iPad?

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, HBO hasn't updated HBO Go for Airplay. Not sure why. Maybe a problem with copyright?

8. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

HBO Go explicitly blocks AirPlay and hdmi/VGA output. It's a licensing issue.

9. Abandapart82 macrumors member

Oh ok. Good to know.

10. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Thanks for the tips, all. So it sounds like most of the time, Airplay / HDMI in the background does indeed work! Great news.

Tuck

----------

Ah, but maybe not through the HDMI adapter.. I would think it would work the same way as AirPlay, but maybe not.