Use HDMI for desktop or for Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FubsyGamr, Feb 8, 2011.

1. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Hey guys!

With my Government refund check, I am going to be getting a 360, as well as building myself a new computer. I am a student, renting out a room and a bathroom, but I don't have any sort of family room or anywhere to put a TV, so I will be using my monitor for the XBox 360 (the same one I'm using for my computer). The monitor I'm going to be getting is this one. I like it because it has all three connections, VGA, DVI and HDMI, right there, and you can toggle between them, just like you would on a TV.

I'm now torn between which connection I should use for which product. Up until now, I've only had my MacBook Pro, so I'm no expert on displays. If this was your set up, where would you plug in the 360, and where the computer? I'll be using the computer mostly for SC2 and schoolwork, and the 360 obviously for gaming. I'm also not sure on which platform would be better to watch Netflix...does it matter, between the 360 and my computer?

Thanks for any/all help!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd use DVI for the computer, HDMI for the 360, and VGA for the MBP if you want. That would likely be the simplest way to do it.

3. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

You should be able to find a new monitor/tv for not much more that includes more than 1 HDMI port.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

DVI and HDMI are the same, except HDMI has audio too. But the video signal is the same. So use DVI for your computer and HDMI for your 360.