Use home Mac as a server?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Argon4k, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Argon4k macrumors member

I'm not sure if the term "server" is the correct word, however what I'm basically looking to do is use my home Mac as a base for everything else. I have a 15" PowerBook and when I'm on the road and I need a file from my desktop I'd like to be able to just log into it and grab it. What would work best to accomplish this? Thanks.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Are you running Leopard? I understand this is exactly what Back to My Mac is for...

3. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

I'm running Leopard on my desktop (24" iMac) and Tiger on my PowerBook.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah

Forward ports 3283, 5900 and 5988 to your desktop's internal IP.

Turn on screen sharing and remote login.

Go to whatismyip.com and write down your external IP address.

voila.

I use remote desktop, but Back to My Mac seems like it works similarly.

5. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

I forwarded the ports but for some reason I can't seem to connect no matter what I try. I try connecting through Finder (Command K and typing in my IP address), I've tried Chicken of the VNC, Terminal through SSH, nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Dumb question: you're using your external IP for your home Mac, right? Not the one supplied by your router?

Also, you've got the appropriate ports forwarded from your router to the Mac, and you're sure you've set up the Mac firewall to allow them through and/or have set up Sharing to allow them on the home Mac?

First ensure, when at home, you can connect to the local IP from your laptop. If not, that needs to be fixed before it'll likely work from outside.

8. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

Yes I'm using the external IP and not the router IP. I have forwarded the ports as previously suggested as well. As for the firewall it is currently set to allow all incoming connections and I have enabled screen sharing, file sharing and remote login, of which none seem to be letting me in. When on my laptop on my network I can get into my desktop but I want to be able to connect while I'm elsewhere.

I'm running Leopard on the desktop and Tiger on the laptop. Thanks.