Use iCloud or not

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigbadneil, Nov 30, 2014.

1. bigbadneil macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

Guys I have a Mac Pro iPhone 6 and just bought a MacBook pro and my question is can I just let my google apps account sync everything reather than use iCloud
    The reason I am asking is I Keep getting iCloud asking me for my password and also I get duplicate contacts when I have iCloud selected
    Any help would be much apreaceated

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... you can just turn iCloud off completely if you don't need it.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

If iCloud was just a matter of syncing contacts, calendars, and documents - no need to use iCloud if you're happy with Google. But there are other functions that Google does not cover, including backup, Find My iPhone, streaming your newly-taken iPhone photos to the Mac, Safari bookmarks, and iCloud keychain that you may want to take advantage of. And if you're using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote - iCloud Drive will be easier to work with than Google.

As far as duplicate contacts - use either Google or iCloud - using both just confuses things. Since each function has a separate on/off, mix and match.

Considering that you're so invested in Apple anyway, why not take advantage of the ecosystem when it make sense?