Use iMac 2008 as a display for mac mini

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GreenApple29, Apr 20, 2012.

1. GreenApple29 macrumors regular

GreenApple29

Hello all
    im expecting the new mac mini i7 2.7ghz to arrive in a couple of days
    i still have my iMac 2.8ghz model 2008 which i still havent sold..
    im thinking how to combine both and use its display for my mac mini since the difference in cpu and memory power is really huge!
    i searched online and the only way since the imac doesnt have a port for monitor out is to use the built in service of the OS X screen sharing
    my question is
    do you think that there wiull be a lag?
    i will use it obviously on my local network through wireless..
    what do you think?
    you think i should get a switch and connect both there for a faster 1gbit connection?
    As soon as i sell my imac i will get a display but till then ill have to find a solution..which i think this is the only one:)

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

3. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

rkaufmann87 cheers for the quick reply!
    yeah i bumbed into this earlier on..is this any better than the native screen sharing and remote desktop by apple?

also i saw on your signature that u use six gigabytes of RAm on your system..i spose its the same with mine?
    on the apple site it says four is maximum

how much did you get that four gig memory?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I've never used the app so I can't speak to it's resolution, you probably ought to ask the developer.

Yes, I'm running 6GB or RAM and yes yours can expand to 6GB too. Look on OWC's website at

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo_PC2-6400 for a kit.

5. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

Thanks for the link
    not sure if its worth it now since i got the new mini beast:) the mac mini i mean!!
    thats a shame that the cost of the four gig is more tha n of that to get more RAM for the latest model of the mac mini that has ddr3!!