Use iMac as screen for Xbox 360, Wii?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bungiefan89, May 27, 2011.

1. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure this has already been covered before, but how do I hook up my Xbox 360 or Wii to use my 2011 iMac for a display?

Note, my Xbox 360 does NOT have an HDMI port. I'm looking for an adapter or something that can somehow transfer a signal from my 360 or Wii's Composite Cables (the red, white, yellow plugs) into my iMac and its glorious 27" display.

Does such a device exist? Or do I need to wait for the industry to start inventing thurnderbolt devices... :(

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You are correct, this has already been covered before.

And the answer is: they cant be.

If you need to know the specifics as to why, a brief forum or even google search will give the answers.

3. Bat6111 macrumors member

Bat6111

indeed, it cant be

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

5. hwp16 macrumors newbie

come on gents lets be a little more helpful than that....

Kanex (who make the Kanex XD, which does what you want but for 2010 iMacs only) have announced that they are working on a revision to the XD that will support the Thunderbolt port.

"Will the Kanex XD work fine with the new iMac's (MC812B/A) via the Thunderbolt port?
    Our Kanex XD requires modification to work with the new thunderbolt iMac 27-inch. We are under development of a newer version. Please look out for an announcement soon. In the mean time the Kanex XD still works for iMac 27 2009-early 2011 and also the LED Cinema Display 27-inch."

In the FAQs section at http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

6. bungiefan89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

THANK YOU! As much hope as this gives me, I can't deny that my 360 is one of the OLDER consoles (2007) that only has an A/V output and no HDMI port of any sort, but hopefully I can find another adapter to accompany the thunderbolt version of this device once it comes out. Thank you!

7. Sylonien, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Anyone know why thats the case with 27" and the 21" will? :confused:

(I'm waiting for Thunderbolt version too.)

# EDIT #

Think I found the answer to my own question.

http://www.cultofmac.com/kanex-xd-lets-you-use-your-console-blu-ray-player-with-your-imac-review/87459
    Really annoying! Especially that the 27" is more than capable of 1080 and beyond. Firmware update from Apple? Somehow don't think they would do so... :(