Use Imac as second display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jpuk81, Sep 13, 2013.

1. jpuk81 macrumors newbie

HI all!
    I need to use my old Imac (24" mid 2009) as a second display for my new iMac (27" AUG 2013). I bought a thunderbolt cable and connect the two but it didnt work (obviously). Is there any way I can do this? Any adapter or something? Thank you!
    jp

2. simsaladimbamba

AirDisplay or ScreenRecyclerX can help.

A wired network connection is better than a wireless connection for that case, and you can always sell the TB cable or even return it.

3. jpuk81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great tip! I didn't know the existence of these softwares. Which of the two would you recommend?
    thank you very much!

4. simsaladimbamba

AirDisplay, it worked with only minor bugs compared to ScreenRecycler, and it is also much easier to setup.

5. jpuk81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant! I'll give it a try! thanks simsaladimbamba

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You don't need software, you simply need the correct cables. A 2009 iMac did no thave Thunderbolt, therefore what you need is a Thunderbolt to Mini-Display port adapter and a Mini-Display port cable to connect to the 2009 machine. I'd recommend before posting on a forum that you do a littler research, Apple provides a FAQ on Target Display Mode (TDM) which can be found at:

support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

7. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

Can you do the same with a very old PowerBook G4?
    It has great monitor.

8. simsaladimbamba

Forget that, as the 24" iMac is not supported inTarget Display Mode, as it is an early 2009 iMac and not a late 2009 27" iMac, which would have been supported via a simple "Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort" cable according to the FAQ you "linked" to.

----------

Only with that ScreenRecyclerX application, but it does not state any requirements besides Mac OS X version, therefore you have to try it first, if PowerPC Macs are supported.

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You are correct, I misread the OP's original post and did not catch it's a mid 2009, I thought it was a late 2009 model. Good catch on my poor reading!

10. simsaladimbamba

That is what we are here for, correcting mistakes from others as openly as possible, disregarding one's own mistakes of course. Lalalaala :D

11. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

Thank you... again.

I've taken a peek and it seems promising.
    I believe PPC is supported, but Ill have to check it out.
    The other requirement is JollysFastVNC.