Use Inerference Robustness ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IAmNotMyName, Apr 30, 2007.

1. IAmNotMyName macrumors newbie

In the settings for AirPort there is a choice for 'Use Inerference Robustness'; what exactly does this do, and when should it be used?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

From my understanding it helps you to connect better to a router, but it sacrifices range to do it.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it strengthens the signal with a bit of cost to the range. i'd use it if you're having problems with things like cordless phones and microwaves cutting into your signal strength

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Apple has never been completely clear on what it does, but as the name suggests, it makes the network more robust in an environment where there is a lot of interference. My understanding is that it should be used if you're experiencing wireless issues due to a nearby microwave oven, which operates on the same frequency. (2.4 GHz cordless phones also operate on that frequency, but I think I remember reading that the interference robustness is specifically designed to deal with microwave interference...not sure whether that's true or not.)

If you're not having any problems with it turned off, I wouldn't turn it on. It decreases your range and/or speed, but it makes sure the data gets through.

And I believe it must be turned on both your computer and your base station in order for it to work. One isn't enough.