use iPad as an external display for rMBP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mgsnat75, Jul 28, 2012.

1. mgsnat75 macrumors member

So i have an ipad 3 and a rMBP. is there a good app that i can use to use my ipad as a secondary display when on the macbook? What are your recommendations?

2. aleni macrumors 68020

If im not mistaken, there is an app called airdisplay. It makes the iPad as a secondary screen through wifi, so no cable is required which is cool.

3. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I wish I could just use a cable. I'm using Air Display on my PC and there are a lot of issues with using it. Both devices have to be on the same wifi network and not all wifi networks will work (my university's wifi has security that won't allow it). The connection is also pretty slow so definitely no video over the connection. Also it's pretty glitchy. It often won't see my iPad, or won't reconnect later if I disconnect it for some reason.

4. dchao macrumors 6502a

There is an horrendous lag, not recommended for gaming :D

5. mgsnat75 thread starter macrumors member

you know i tried it and it works very well. Only thing is that its freezing up my retina mac. is that normal? also running mountain lion as well.

6. TinyBFK macrumors member

Splashtop has an app to do this. It's free for the first 10 minutes so you can try before you buy and I think it's half the price of airdisplay.