Use iPad micro sim in iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hohohong, Oct 12, 2010.

1. hohohong macrumors 6502

I’ll be heading down to US for a trip. I have an At&T micro sim from iPad that I bought in US. I’m wondering if I can use that micro sim and use it for the data plan only on my factory unlock iPhone 4?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    You will have to edit the apn settings by installing a custom profile using unlockit.co.nz

3. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply!

So I just need to create AT&T profile:

wap.cingular
    wap@cingulargprs.com
    CINGULAR1

I should do this when I have internet access first before popping At&T micro sim in right?

Or will AT&T disallow me to use iPad micro sim on my iPhone just because ipad plan is specially designed for iPad, not iPhone?

4. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

My main objective is to be able to get online during my trip in US with the least possible cost.

Since I already have a AT&T micro sim from iPad (iPad itself is gone, not mine) and an unlocked iPhone 4, I’m thinking to use AT&T $25 2GB iPad plan. But will I be able to use it with iPhone 4?

If not, what other alternative do I have? Prepaid GoPhone plan with data is min $75.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes you will be fine.
    Many others are using it like that.

6. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Applejuiced.

So when I got back to Canada, do I have to manually go to that unlockit site to download my Canadian APN or it’ll automatically do it when I plug in my Canadian micro sim?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to manually do it yourself, you will not be able to pull any data untill you do that.

8. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Applejuiced! You’re macrumours demi god!

9. swizard macrumors newbie

iPad 2 SIM into iPhone 3GS

I am considering buying an iPad 2 3G/WiFi very soon. And I will be travelling in the USA for a month or two. For use during that time, I was wondering if I can buy the iPad, activate it's data plan, and then use a micro->normal SIM tray and use the iPad SIM on my iPhone 3GS for purely data purposes only. I understand there will be no voice services.

Can someone please confirm it or deny it's possibility? And if it's possible, how can I go about making this happen. I have read things about changing APNs or something. I also read that it apparently doesn't work any more or something. I don't know for sure what the current status of this is nor how to do it.

Of course I want to do this with no penalties fees etc. I have read of individuals using their iPhone 4 data plan on a iPad, but then when they put their iPhone SIM back into their iPhone they get a notification from AT&T, saying they need to buy a plan, and then they get charged, etc. But in my situation it's iPad to iPhone so can there still be trouble with AT&T?

Please help me out, as I will be arriving in USA very shortly.

Thank you!