iPad mini use iPad mini as phone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by angiebot, Apr 24, 2013.

1. angiebot macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying an iPad mini, and I was wondering if there is a way to hack it to use it as a phone? I know you can use skype/google phone/whatever over data/wifi and you can use the data from an existing phone plan, but can you get a jailbroken dialler app and headset and use your true blue minutes from another phone plan? Or would this require different hardware?

I like iPhones but 1. they're too expensive and 2. the screens are too small... I'd like to be able to read a book off of it without having to change the page every two sentences!

Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I did a quick Google and came up with nothing.. Maybe the sim card identifies the iPad Mini on the network as such. Another member may know what to do.

What you could do is buy Skype minutes and use that for calling.

3. angiebot thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but then it requires the hassles of getting a new number and either switching my sim to a data-only one or just cancelling it, since my plan barely has any data on it as it is.

4. MandyAW92 macrumors member

watchthisspace has really posted the only way I know of changing it

5. angiebot thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: We sort of found a way, but it includes buying this device for about $100, one of which is called a Gmate, you put the SIM in that and it connects to your device via bluetooth and turns it into a phone that way. Interesting, because then you can have one SIM in your iPad and a second one in your bluetooth device. Haven't looked into it too much but looks neat.

6. 64Mario64 macrumors regular

The AirPort Express really should be able to connect to your phone line and Airplay the phone capability to all Apple devices. I would love to answer the home phone line right on my Mac or iPhone.

7. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

This requires a jailbroken iOS device.. Don't really see much point of it - if you're going to carry a second gadget, wouldn't it be easier to just get an iPhone?

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

All of that just to make a call? if the iphone screen is too small, maybe what you need is a samsung note. Hack a tablet to use as a full time phone is a bit ridiculous.

9. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

If you could make calls on the mini without a hitch I would get one and dump my iPhone, iPad2 and laptop on Craigslist. Just keep the iMac. Maybe that's why they don't give people the option. Who knows though.

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Sorry for bumping the old thread but the topic has been my dream for a long time.

Yeah .. iPad (especially one with cellular radio) will make a great replacement for a phone. Or even iPhone

Even better if Apple makes an iPad Mini with phone call and sms capability I would consider ditching my iPhone instead.

As a concept it's great. iPad has a great battery life which last several days. Something iPhone is really bad at. You can have voice calls through the iPad mic and speaker so it will be speakerphone mode only on the go. If you want a private conversation you can plug the earpod instead. Not exactly practical but perfectly acceptable and I'd jump the wagon instantly if that means I can bring one device at all time.

But you know that's the worst nightmare for Apple. I suppose iPhone margin and revenue is so much bigger so they wouldn't let the iPad making phone calls and eat iPhone marketshare instead.

11. bbishop93 macrumors regular

I agree with you except on terms of the battery life. You're phone is always connected always in use the cellular network connection as it varies weak and strong drains the battery faster than say a mini that you would use sporadically during the day. BUT, the biggest thing by far that makes up for more battery life than the iphone is the texting both imessage AND regular texts. Try avoid texting for a day and you'll see by the end of your day if you're not glued to your phone you will easily have 70% left. This has happened to me before when I have worked all day. Obviously though it is a phone and everyone is always texting so apply that to a mini and you really won't have as much battery life. Just a tip though for the iPhone if your a big texter like me, keep it on silent and just periodically check it, you'd be amazed at how much a vibrate for a text wears down your battery percentage. You'll get a lot more hours out of your phone if you keep texts and emails on silent, but then again you have to remember to check ;)

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

So you're saying that when a phone repeatedly play text/email alert is considerably eat more power than actually receiving it and not alert you a la 'Do Not Disturb' mode?

I always thought the biggest battery killer is the cellular receiving part. Play some alert or ringtone is easy. I've had accidentally turned Airplane mode on for a whole day after a full morning charge and by the end of the day the battery stays in 93% :eek:

Assuming you are right though, I still believe you'll still get at least twice battery life if iPad or iPad Mini can be used as a iPhone. That means I could squeeze two or even three full days for one full charging which is godsend.

13. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

In the UK there is a network called O2 that has an app called TUGO.
    It allows me to use any iOS device as a phone, users call my number and the iPad rings.

Unfortunately though the service is a bit patchy over GSM.
    Works great over wifi.
    An iPhone is better.

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

That's cool, you pay anything extra for that service? here in US they would prob charge you an extra $20 for that functionality

15. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

No, it was free.
    My iPhone 5s was free too, albeit on a 2 year contract. ;)

16. Internaut macrumors 6502a

I think the punishment of crucifixion should re-established for any network/reseller who describes a phone bought on contract as free :D. Don't me wrong, it can work well for the smart consumer, but free????

As to the OP's question, apps like Skype and BT Smart Talk (both over WiFi) are the only solutions I've seen. Skype for iPad is great, and has saved me hundreds of pounds this year. The O2 solution sounds good, but I assume that is over the data network (i.e. the ISUP stack for voice over GSM isn't actually present on the device)?

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I love my iPad Mini.

Tonight I made a bluetooth phone call using my car stereo and my Mini using Talkatone. The audio wasn't that great of course but the guy could hear me and I could hear him. I was using my AT&T data sim at the time. :D