Use iPhone and Ipod Touch as Time Machine backup now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leodavinci0, Sep 10, 2008.

1. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed this and tried it.

An app for the iPhone called "Airsharing" is free on the App Store now. It mounts your iPhone as a network drive in finder, allowing you to copy files to your iPhone, and open them with the iPhone. I noticed that the iPhone network drive shows up in Time Machine as a viable backup disc when using it. Has anyone tried this app with Time Machine to see if it works? If you could do this then you could always have documents and such from your computer available, and in a sense sync them when you mount the drive.

Of course, due to the memory constraints, this would only be for people with very little on their computer, or who want to only backup documents and small stuff. But with the 32 GB iPod Touch with apps, the iPod Touch wouldn't be a bad thing to use then. My TM backup is less than 25 GB (excluding music). And in TM you can just exclude your movie and music files from the backup. You can always use a program like Senuti to get the music off you iPhone if you ever need to (I've done it).

The only problem is the time it takes. On my PB, Airsharing downloads to the iPhone at about 500 KB per sec, so the first TM backup would take a long time. But for a backup I keep with me all the time, I would be willing to do this, if I could. The other problem is security if someone ever swipes your iPhone.

Edit: It may only show up in TM because of all of the hacking I went through to try to get TM to work over the network a couple months back. If so, then I'll see what I can do to find out what I did when I get off work.

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I dunno, sounds to me like a "because I can" thing of little practical use, I mean why would I bog down an iPhone or Touch with computer backups? It's an expensive entertainment & communication center and you wanna use it as a very small and slow hard disk, when you can get a TB of storage for the price of an iPod Touch.

3. leodavinci0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Word of warning

After installing Airsharing and adding about 400 MB of data to my iPhone, it took a loooooong time to backup in iTunes on the next sync. After that backup though it's back to normal, at about a minute or two.

And in response to the comment above, some folks may find it useful to have a backup on their device, not only for the backup, but for the access to all of data, documents, videos, etc that can be shown in Airsharing after adding them.

4. PCuserHere macrumors newbie

Wirless Router is NEEDED for this.

Basically, this AirSharing installed a sharing server on your Ipod/Iphone and answer to http://192.168.X.X:8080 address. (192.168.X.X is the IP address of your Ipod/Iphone obtained from the wireless router.)

This sharing is protected by the strength of the username and password you set up during installation of this AirSharing. Example, if your computer has 192.168.1.100 and your IPhone has 192.168.1.102, this is the same network on the same Wirless router, you can connect to your Ipod/Iphone and copy or delete file just like a wireless drive!!! The copy speed is fast since I have a 54Mb router. This is good. You don't have to depend on the sync only when you want to copy a movie right a way from another computer on the same router as your IPod/IPhone connected to, so you can watch immediately.:eek:

5. PCuserHere macrumors newbie

Wirless Router is NEEDED for this.

Basically, this AirSharing installed a sharing server on your Ipod/Iphone and answer to http://192.168.X.X:8080 address. (192.168.X.X is the IP address of your Ipod/Iphone obtained from the wireless router.)

This sharing is protected by the strength of the username and password you set up during installation of this AirSharing. Example, if your computer has 192.168.1.100 and your IPhone has 192.168.1.102, this is the same network on the same Wirless router, you can connect to your Ipod/Iphone and copy or delete file just like a wireless drive!!! The copy speed is fast since I have a 54Mb router. This is good. You don't have to depend on the sync only when you want to copy a movie right a way from another computer on the same router as your IPod/IPhone connected to, so you can watch immediately.:eek: