use iphone as ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CactusChef, Jun 9, 2009.

1. CactusChef macrumors member

I know theres a bunch of topics wondering if you can turn the touch into an iphone (which of course I know you can't do); but I don't see one for the other way around...

Since the iphone has more features and I don't need a cell phone (don't even own one); would it be possible to use the iphone as just a touch without signing up for a cell phone plan; just wondering... thanks!

I used the search multipile times on this forum and didn't see a similar topic.

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

yes as long as you don't purchase one from Apple to AT&T you should be able to. The only problem will be that I think it has to have a sim card inserted to be "activated".

The new touches in September might have a camera though? They always update the iPods around then, so you might want to wait and see what changes first.

3. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

I believe if you were to buy an iPhone off Ebay or something you should be able to just use it like an iPod Touch. It just won't have a 3G connection or anything. You would have access to Wifi. You could probably use it as a Skype phone or something though.

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

But what if he cancels the contract? Is there an ETF if cancels within X amount of days? and it seems like the SIM would remain activate.

5. ghozt178 macrumors newbie

i was wondering the same thing. would u be able to do the same things on a iphone