Use iPhone as iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by intub8, May 25, 2010.

1. intub8 macrumors newbie

intub8

I was wondering if anyone knew if I will be able to use my iPhone 3G as a sort of iPod touch if I get the next generation iPhone and no longer have service on the 3G? Will it work without the SIM card? I was thinking of using it in my car with the USB connector, or keeping it next to my bed and using my WiFi. Sorry if this is answered in another thread, I did a quick search and could not find the answer.

Thanks

2. No ice please macrumors 6502

When you go to upgrade your phone at the ATT store just ask them for a new SIM and ask to keep your old one for your phone. I've done it with every phone I've had. OR just use an old ATT sim. It should work theoretically.

I'll try in a sec.

Edit: When I put an old cingular SIM in it just said no service. When I took the SIM out it just said "no SIM" and it still worked.

3. intub8 thread starter macrumors newbie

intub8

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I was thinking of giving my phone to a friend so she could use it as an iPod Touch. So if i keep the old sim in the phone, when she connects the phone to her computer/itunes, will iTunes treat it as an iPod and let her load it with her media?

5. TW95 macrumors member

iPhone to iPod touch.

Easy; sell your iPhone buy an iPod Touch :)

I'd rather carry around a lighter, thinner device.

It will appear in iTunes as an iPhone (hence it being an iPhone).

6. PokerDealerMSPD macrumors newbie

When I get my iPhone 4, I am planning to give my 3G to my neighbor. Should I restore it to factory settings? Will he be able to sync it to his computer and use his music? He is not on AT&T and probably won't use it as a phone. He could by unlocking it, but theoretically, could he just use it as an iPod touch? Will it sync without a wireless account? Will it need to be jailbroken? He's 17 and not very mac literate, so I will need to do all this for him, I am just wondering what I will need to do so he can use it. Thanks for you help.