Use iPhone as Multi-touch trackpad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrew0122, May 19, 2008.

1. andrew0122 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if it possible to use the iPhone as a multi touch trackpad for an iMac?

I've been using Touchpad Pro and am interested to know if it is possible to use such features as on the MacBook Air.

I think it would be sweet to swipe on my iPhone and change spaces on my OS X desktop. Or even use pinch to zoom in on my desktop...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Soon i'd imagine. Can you wait 3 weeks? hehe If touch is the 2nd Golden Gate bridge - expect a lot more integration with current and future Apple computer products with their other devices (tablet, iPhone, whatever).

Attached Files:

3. andrew0122 thread starter macrumors regular

is this some sort of a hopeful dream or an actual product concept?

By wait did you mean for the official app release from Apple for the iPhone?

4. Dasmo macrumors newbie

Those are some of the worst mockups I've ever seen. Multi-touch will come to the desktop, but it'll be a device that will attempt to replace the keyboard rather than sit on top of one. It also won't be used for work, that's for sure. It'll be kinda like how you used a computer in the past without the internet and you thought it was fun, but now you can't do that.

Paradigm shifts can't be predicted, they can only be observed.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Thank you Dasmo, your kindness exceeds itself... I know they're bad, but at least they are also old - It's to show a concept. You could have a wafer thin version as a mousemat. You can have a carboardbox with perspex on for all we care, ala Lux.
    The mockups also point out that you could slave a tablet to a Mac and use it as a 2nd screen, as a slave touch pad etc etc. Yes - it should have been a bit deeper, and less wide, but it's only a mockup.

The point I was trying to make is that it isn't here to totally replace the keyboard as a UI. It's to try and accompany it. Some will use a touch keyboard, as in the iPhone. Others might not like it, with or without haptics. The iMac was a mock up from kontheur - We already know Apple
    a) had a patent for wider multitouch pads, and that they seemed larger than was put on the MacBook Air
    b) We also know Apple has patents on the knowhow to ignore wrists, palms non-meant key touches, which could easily tie in with a 14"x6 flat keyboard or similar. Who knows.

PS Paradigm shifts can be predicted. Not necessarily always, not necessarily the whole extent. The people involved in the paradigm shift should have an inkling for a start.

I'd be interested to see your mockups Dasmo -dazzle us :D