Use iPhone as remote speakers?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spblat, Jul 18, 2010.

1. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I've heard of Airfoil and maybe it can do this, but their site doesn't make it clear.

I have a couple of Airport Expresses around the house that I use as remote speakers. Can I take my old iPhone 3G and load some kind of app on it that will make it show up in iTunes as an additional set of remote speakers?

Jailbreaking is no problem of course. Thanks!

2. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Airfoil will let you stream any application to your iPhone, and any other device with Airfoil Speakers installed, all in nice sync.

Got it on mine and i use it all the time, it works quite well.

3. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

Thanks. But I'm still confused about whether my spare iPhone can be integrated into my collection of AirPort Express's...whether it will look to iTunes as just another set of wireless speakers. Will I be able to use the Apple "Remote" app on my new iPhone to tell iTunes to stream music to the Airports and the old iPhone?

4. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

Sorry, I think I found my answer.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ios/

5. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Unfortunately as far as i am aware there is no way of getting the iPhone to actually show up in itunes the same way as the airport express does.

However, with airfoil you can stream to the iPhone and also airport express and other computers. So you are abstracting the audio distribution up a level and into airfoils app rather than itunes.

The other big benefit to this is you can stream from pretty much any app on your computer such as spotify, last.fm e.t.c

I believe you can download a trial version so i would give it a go, plus if you look in the right places then there are ways to extend the trial . . .