Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Utah
I'm looked at a lot of info on these forums, some of it conflicting, so I'm looking for some answers from people who themselves use an iPhone without a data plan. My brother will give me his old original iPhone, and I do not want to pay for the data plan. Yes, I know how nice it is to have internet access everywhere, and yes, I'm aware I won't be able to use visual voice mail. I just want a smart phone that I can have wifi access on, and it's nice that I can have an iPhone for free.

I am currently an AT&T costumer and have a SIM card in my current phone. How do I:
  • Use the iPhone with my sim card?
  • Keep AT&T from automatically adding a data plan to my bill?

Any other info you think I need would be very helpful. Thanks!

Cescfabregas4

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
I used my iPhone 3g for 10 months without the data plan. I called Att and switched my sim to another phone and they removed it. I then put the sim back into the iPhone and used it without data. I aslo told Att to block all data on my line.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I beleive you'll first have to activate the phone, if your brother doesn't do it beforehand. (An activated sim will need to be in the phone) Then just switch to a non-iPhone, tell AT&T to block data for you, and then switch back to the iPhone.

You might get messages telling you that you don't have a data plan. They might automatically add it on at some later point in time when they notice. You'll just have to pay attention and make sure it stays blocked.

powerdt

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
I check AT&T's additional feature plan...and you can add 'data plan' for $10/mo, but no text.
so instead of spending $30/mo for iphone data plan...is this another way to get around?:cool:

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I'm looked at a lot of info on these forums, some of it conflicting, so I'm looking for some answers from people who themselves use an iPhone without a data plan. My brother will give me his old original iPhone, and I do not want to pay for the data plan. Yes, I know how nice it is to have internet access everywhere, and yes, I'm aware I won't be able to use visual voice mail. I just want a smart phone that I can have wifi access on, and it's nice that I can have an iPhone for free.

I am currently an AT&T costumer and have a SIM card in my current phone. How do I:
  • Use the iPhone with my sim card?
  • Keep AT&T from automatically adding a data plan to my bill?
Any other info you think I need would be very helpful. Thanks!
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/126908912/redsn0w-in-june

teaguecole

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
I have seen this post a million times. I have had an iPhone 3G for the past 7 months without a data plan on AT&T and have seen no bill changes. The first thing I did when I got my iPhone was stick my AT&T card from my old phone in to my iPhone and turn on wi-fi and go to unlockit.co.nz and install the APN disabler so I can not access the networks internet. However it is definitely possible for AT&T to change your plan. But I think if you don't give them any reason to look at your account (outrageous bill) they won't change your plan. You do not need to jailbreak your phone! For an EDGE iPhone you can just use pwnage tool to activate the phone but not jailbreak it. I use to have an EDGE iPhone and that is exactly what I did. The nice thing about the 3G is it activates itself if you have AT&T and you don't need any special plan for it to be activated.

Benjer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Utah
I have seen this post a million times. I have had an iPhone 3G for the past 7 months without a data plan on AT&T and have seen no bill changes. The first thing I did when I got my iPhone was stick my AT&T card from my old phone in to my iPhone and turn on wi-fi and go to unlockit.co.nz and install the APN disabler so I can not access the networks internet. However it is definitely possible for AT&T to change your plan. But I think if you don't give them any reason to look at your account (outrageous bill) they won't change your plan. You do not need to jailbreak your phone! For an EDGE iPhone you can just use pwnage tool to activate the phone but not jailbreak it. I use to have an EDGE iPhone and that is exactly what I did. The nice thing about the 3G is it activates itself if you have AT&T and you don't need any special plan for it to be activated.

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the pwnage tool; how do I simply activate the phone without jailbreaking it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.