Use iphone sim in other phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fenderbass146, Jul 7, 2009.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I just got a 32GB 3gs but In the winter I go snowboarding alot and don't want to carry my 300 dollar investment with me snowboarding, can I use my tmobile prepaid phone by putting my iphone sim in it just when i snowboard so i don't have to risk breaking it. (AND yes in Colorado a cell is super important to have when snowboarding so don't tell me to just go without a cell.)

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've put my iPhone SIM in a cheap GoPhone and not had any issues. Data may not work, but you'll still be able to make/receive calls, and get SMS.

3. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

okay, it won't mess up my iphone plan at all will it, and also will it work in a tmobile prepaid phone

4. iFerd macrumors 6502a

If your T-Mobile phone is unlocked, your iPhone SIM should work in it on the AT&T network. I have an ancient unlocked T-Mobile phone that works with my iPhone SIM for the features that phone supports. I doubt it will work if it is still locked to T-Mobile.

I recall reading somewhere that T-Mobile will readily agree to unlock phones after the contract is up for them. I'm not sure if that is current information, though.

5. bigdweeb macrumors newbie

I asked a similar question recently since I am new to the GSM world. From what I've found, you can use any GSM phone for the ATT network, any GSM phone for the T-Mobile network if you can get it unlocked, or any already unlocked GSM phone. The one caveat is the phone has to use at least the 850/1900 MHz bands.

I also wanted a simple phone I could take snowboarding, hiking, etc. I did some searching and found the Motorola v197. It's an unlocked Quad band 850/900/1800/1900 phone so you can take it anywhere in the world. It has miniUSB connectivity so you can charge it off your computer. It has bluetooth for hands-free use if that's important. It has a monochrome outer display and a color inner display. It's pretty compact aside from its thickness and feels pretty rugged. It has a large battery for the size/features of the phone so it has a long standby time. It also seems that you can do some rudimentary hacking to it from what I've read. I think I paid somewhere around $50 for it.

I've used it a couple times when I've gone on bike rides where I didn't want to carry my iPhone and it's been fine.

6. Strategy macrumors member

Can I put my iPhone sim in say, a bold and use data? Will the iPhone data plan cover blackberry data usage?

7. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

It will if you have Opera. Otherwise, the Blackberry's browser, messenger, and email run through their servers, so you have to have the BIS/BES data plan for it to work.

EDIT: FYI, Opera is a browser. You will only be able to browse using opera, but you can still make/receive calls and text messages.