use itouch as external camcorder lcd monitor?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by whiteside1000, May 21, 2008.

1. whiteside1000 macrumors newbie

does anyone know how to use an itouch as an external video monitor for a camcorder? I have a Canon XL2 (which only has a viewfinder but no swing-out lcd viewfinder) and I would love it if I could feed the video signal directly from the videoout/firewire out from the camcorder to it. I have been told that this is basically possible, but requires a little software solution... any information regarding this would be terrific!
    Thanks,
    andrew

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

What is an iTouch??

3. whiteside1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

what is an iTOUCH

it's what the iPod Touch is called here in Europe...

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

By whom?? Certainly not by Apple.

But to answer your question I don't think what you are asking is possible. Maybe with the SDK developers can whip up something to help in the future.

5. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

He's right. It's not called an iTouch (shudder) in Europe.

I don't think what you are asking would be possible. The iPod Touch would either have to connect by WiFi or by USB. As USB uses a master/slave setup for controlling devices, I assume both would be a slave device. They would therefore lack the functionality to handshake.

I wonder if it would have been possible with Firewire...

And wi-fi would be flakey, unreliable and probably way too slow for viewing full quality video feeds.

6. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

totally impossible.

Don't even know why you'd want to do this. You'll see the Powerbook G5 before this 'feature'