Use iTouch to wirelessly control iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ericinboston, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Hi all,

I've recently read that there is a free Apple app on iTunes that will allow my iTouch (I don't own one yet) called Remote that will allow me to control my iTunes on my desktop and have the songs streamed to my stereo over the wireless network.

I have a few questions that Apple does not clearly answer:

1)Must I use the Airport Express product ($99) or can I use my own wireless network product?

1a)If the answer is that I must use the Airport, then how would I manage having 2 networks in my house?...there's no point in me running upstairs and switching networks everytime I want to either surf the web or play my music. Technically I can have as many networks/wireless routers as I want but a machine can only be on 1 network at a time.

1b)If the answer is "you can use any wireless network" (as the Remote software Description section states), then how? :) I would need to plug something into my stereo that is a wireless product to receive the stream from the computer.

2)It is very unclear to me what Air Tunes is and how it is bundled with Airport Express...again...is this a device that connects to an existing network or replaces my existing network? I do NOT want to replace my existing network.

Now, I am on Windows XP.

Moreover, here is the ultimate goal that I want to do (I'm a techie but also a consumer):

-own a product/solution that will allow me to play iTunes music off my Windows XP box located upstairs over my wireless G network (it's screaming fast in this house) into my stereo about 40 feet away. What this solution should also allow me to do is have some kind of wireless remote control that allow me to be in front of the stereo (not the pc) and control my music. Preferablly this wireless remote would have a screen so I can navigate/traverse the entire iTunes collection.

Sounds simple right? I've been trying to find a system like this since 1999 (before the ipods actually) but everything that is sold frankly sux big time. Case in point: Logitech's new Squeezebox Duet ($399 list price) that was released a few months go...totally stinks. Every one of the features is EXACTLY what I am looking for...but they stick the worst wireless network card in the box so as to perform so badly that the music skips 100% of the time (and no, it's not my network). Honestly, on paper, the Squeezebox is just perfect. In reality it's not even worth $50.

So...any way I can reach my goal?

1)I've tried the Squeezebox Duet and it blows
    2)I thought of somehow using an FM Transmitter in my iPod Classic but all FM transmitters that I have found are designed for cars and thus require a cigarette lighter adapter to give it power (why can't it just suck power off the iPod?...maybe the iPod hardware doesn't allow power to be drained)
    3)Figure out how to use the free Remote software package with a new iTouch

Or...should I just find a few developers and create my own product that would essentially compete with the Squeezebox Duet? :)

Thanks everyone for your help!

-Eric

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you don't need the remote application to do any streaming. it's merely an app which allows you to use your touch as a wireless remote. you will, however, need an airport express to stream music to your stereo. you just have to set it up it up as a client on your existing network.

also, fwiw, i had an itrip fm transmitter a long time ago. it worked with no external powersource.

3. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the reply...a few follow up questions regarding the FM Transmitter:

1)your link is for the 2006 version of the iTrip...any particular reason you posted that link?

2)How does it sound? I don't expect anything off the ipod to be earth shattering since they are MP3s to begin with but would like it to be as good if not better than the headphone jack (that I used to plug into my stereo).

Thanks again!

-Eric

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i posted that link randomly. i think the itrip that i had was even older. in any case it worked on. it's definitely nowhere near the stereo output from a wired source. it's an ok solution, but i've since hardwired all my cars and use multiple airport express units in my house to stream music. for me, it's worth the cost.

5. vorley macrumors newbie

1)Must I use the Airport Express product ($99) or can I use my own wireless network product?

1a)If the answer is that I must use the Airport, then how would I manage having 2 networks in my house?...there's no point in me running upstairs and switching networks everytime I want to either surf the web or play my music. Technically I can have as many networks/wireless routers as I want but a machine can only be on 1 network at a time.

I dont believe you can link an airport express wirelessly to a none airport network, only by ethernet to a netgear or belkin etc router. An Airport express can only wirelessly link up to an airport extreme to enlarge the wireless range and have multiple AE playing music in different rooms of your house.

then the ipod touch control can be used to stream music from your PC to AE in other rooms all on one Apple Extreme network using N spec.

You can always link your airport express to your router over ethernet and turn off the wireless feature of your router to get a single network. But this is assuming your router can be near to your AE (maybe another telephone socket if your using ADSL)

6. encephalon macrumors member

The Airport Express can join (be a client of) an existing wireless network regardless of router brand. For example, I have a linksys wireless router at my desk and an airport express connected to the linksys network to stream music to my living room stereo. However, it is correct the airport express can only extend/repeat/rebroadcast a wireless network supplied by an airport extreme or another express.

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

In addition, in case it's not clear to the OP, the APEx and your iPod Touch (running the Remote app) would all join your existing network, and all the relevant devices would talk to each other and stream the audio on that network. No need to create an additional network or switch networks as asked in the original post.

You could also hardwire the audio output of your computer to your stereo (if that's a reasonable option in your house), so that your computer's output is a selectable input on your stereo, then control iTunes with the Touch. This would eliminate the need for the Airport Express and you still wouldn't need to access you computer to start the music -- just make the input selection on your stereo and start the music with the Touch.

8. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

what is airport express. I have a wireless linksys router thats it and the controller application works just fine.

9. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Get a used Apple TV if all you want is to stream music; the advantage will be that you can push music to the ATV for playing back without having your computer on (or have it show the contents of your computer's iTunes library as well).

Can function as a wire/wireless client in your home network, supports optical out, and has an easy to use interface if hooked up to a TV.