use iTunes content (API?)

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by jolla, May 11, 2009.

1. jolla macrumors member

I would like to use some data from the iTunes (music) store. My main interest is Apple's "explicit" rating for certain songs. Would anyone know a way to easily check if Apple thinks a song contains explicit content?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

You could look at the AppleScript dictionary for iTunes. Open Script Editor, go to File > Open Dictionary and select iTunes and see if there is a way to do it there. If so then you can use AppleScript and any other related technology (e.g. Scripting Bridge) to get the info.

3. hhas macrumors regular

If you only need read-only access, iTunes maintains a backup 'iTunes Music Library.xml' file in your music library folder. Don't know whether it'll have the information you need or not, but worth a look.

4. jolla thread starter macrumors member

Actually, the data I want to use is as follows: Apple marks certain songs in the iTunes store as 'explicit'. I'm building a profanity filter, but instead of making a smart system, it would be wonderful to just check if Apple deems a song to be explicit, instead of analysing the song myself. Therefore I would need to be able to check this data for every available song in the iTunes store.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

There is no public API for the iTunes Store. You could try working with Amazon's though.