Use iTunes library on external drive on 2 Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jayphen, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Jayphen macrumors newbie

I have an iMac with my music collection on it, and I just bought a MacBook Air. I want to move my iTunes library to an external drive, and share that library (and library database) with my MacBook Air, so if I'm on the road I can take the hard drive with me and listen to the same library on my Air. Is this possible?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you want to keep you Mac online all the time then you could use ShareTool.

Sadly it was possible in the past but Google bought it and buried it. Who said Google wasn't evil?

3. Jayphen thread starter macrumors newbie

ShareTool does look cool, but I'd like to just keep the library on my external drive and plug it in while I'm on the road & offline. If I changed my media folder location inside iTunes to my external drive & then moved the library files on there as well, would it work as I want?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just make sure you move the iTunes Library properly. Then make sure that drive is mounted on your Mac when you use ShareTool to get back to that sharing Mac.

5. Jayphen thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, so you're saying this isn't possible without ShareTool? If I consolidate my library to my external drive and also move the DB, then launch iTunes on my iMac and on my Air by holding shift and then selecting the library file on my hard drive, that would not work?