use ITunes or ICloud for update tomorrow

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by gharvell, Sep 17, 2013.

1. gharvell macrumors member

Tomorrow is the big day. I have been told it is better to use ICloud for this update vs. using ITunes.
    Is this true or is it OK to use ITunes.
    I have tried to back up ICloud and it is talking an enormous amount of time on my phone, 12 plus hours it is saying...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer iTunes, as that's where I back up my iPhone. I've generally found that its quicker to go through that process, but as they say YMMV

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I find no real difference. Except if things are running slow due to server traffic, I find it easier to unplug from the computer and let it keep downloading the file to have it ready. Over the air seems to always start over with each download attempt.

Plus I like to restore my devices and install clean with big updates, clean any beta bug garbage out. Might not be necessary but it's a system that works for me so I stick with it.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Exactly. I usually do a OTA at work and when I get home I download with iTunes as well in case I need to restore.

5. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I find it easier to unplug from the computer and let it keep downloading the file to have it ready.

I NEVER knew you could do that !!!!! At what point do you unplug your phone ?
    Unpluging doesn't stop the process ?

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As soon as the download begins, you can unplug your device.

7. canvasback13 macrumors regular

i did my phone with icloud, and my wifes plugged into itunes. Made no difference.

8. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Thank you for answering me. Another question : To unplug the phone , you have to eject it ? Not just unplug ?