use iTunes, send music to Bose system

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kvdv, Oct 17, 2009.

1. kvdv macrumors member

Hi,

I'm trying to do the following, but I'm not sure it can work: I'd like to use the iTunes interface to search and select music (located on a NAS uPnP device) and listen to it on my Bose system.

I can use my PS3, but then my girlfriend has to turn on the TV, turn on the "noisy" PS3 and use the PS3's interface instead of iTunes.

I could buy a Squeezbox and connect it to my iTunes library, this way, there's no need for a TV or a PS3 to be powered on, but I have to use the very limited Squeezebox interface.

So, we would like to have a laptop in the sofa, connected to the LAN over wi-fi and then search music in iTunes and make it play on the Bose Lifestyle 18 system in our living room.

I've been thinking on how to do this, but can't find a solution for this? Strange, I suspect there are more people out there who love iTunes (or another media player on their PC or Mac), but want the music on their surround system and who would love to use the laptop wireless, without an audio cable running from the notebook to the Bose surround amplifier.

Is there a solution to do this? The only thing I could come up with is connect a dedicated laptop to the surround and then use Remote Desktop to that PC from another wi-fi laptop we're using while sitting in the sofa, but that's crazy, right? :)

Any solutions? What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Kris

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Buy an AirPort Express Base Station and use AirTunes to stream music from whichever computer you want to use to the Bose. The Express is 802.11a/b/g/n compatible, can be a wireless base station, be wired to the network, or connect to an existing wireless network. It also offers a USB port for printer sharing.

Check it out.

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Add an iPhone or iPod touch to the Airport Express and you can use the Remote App to control the laptop iTunes (no laptop on sofa required).

The Airport Express has an audio out jack, which you should be able to plug into your AV receiver.

4. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Bose

Like the others have said, Airport Express with AirTunes lets you send music over the network to your receiver, without any loss of audio quality. I'm not sure whether it's limited to stereo or not, but that's what I would assume.