Use Mac as Gaming Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by d.rumbold02, Mar 26, 2012.

1. d.rumbold02 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I have been trying to figure out if this setup will work for a while now and I was oping someone would know or could test it. I have an xbox 360 and a macbook. If I bought a male HDMI to male mini displayport and connected the two would I be able to use my mac as a monitor for my console the way you could use an iMac as a display for a notebook?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

No. The Mini DisplayPort on your MacBook is output only.

3. d.rumbold02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks. Is there anyway I could use my mac as a gaming monitor? That is without using a capture card, because we know they are all extremely laggy and personally I think they're useless for using a laptop as a display.

4. skorpien, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

skorpien macrumors 68020

Unfortunately, not without that lag you speak of. Additionally, solutions to do so may end up costing as much as a small monitor/TV might. Personally, if space isn't too much of a constraint, I'd go with an HDMI capable TV/monitor. Mind if I ask why you want to use the MacBook as a display?

Here's a YouTube link to do what you want using an EyeTV Hybrid and the composite cables from the 360:
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...o6nsDA&usg=AFQjCNH_A4YyksBc8vydVkgxHq6soWQNvA

5. d.rumbold02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a HDMI tv in my basement that it works great on but would really like to use my mac as a display for nights when I'm going into my bed and I don't want to be on the couch with my glasses. Also I go on road trips often during the summer and I am not old enough to drive so if I could bring my laptop and xbox and use my laptop as a monitor it would give me something to do for hours in the back seat.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Ah, well then I'd look at getting that EyeTV Hybrid or something similar. That video I posted shows a way to get rid of the lag, and the guy shooting the vid claims that he was able to play Halo with that setup, so for your situation that should be sufficient. The only drawback is you won't get high definition out of it...