Use mac as ICS host?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lilpunk1302, Jun 9, 2007.

1. lilpunk1302 macrumors newbie

Ok well I guess i would say that I'm new here, but that would be totally cheesy and put me down there with the rest of the newbz so I'm not gonna.

Anyways, on to my question. We currently have a G4 iBook with OS 10.3.9(Panther? or is tht the new one...) and right beside it(as in it's usually open and being used) is a windows xp PC, simple enough of a setup.

We currently have a router, but it's quite far away from the pc/mac and although the MAC connects and accesses the web fine(I'm writing this from the mac) the PC doesn't, I have a wireless card in it but that doesn't work very well.

So my solution is to use the mac as a ICS host and use a cross patch ethernet cable to connect the two together. I got the network working just fine, sharing files through my ftp server(Bulletproof anyone?)(I don't like the hassle of getting file sharing working so I just use ftp) but when I try to connect to the internet, nada.

I have found an ICS option enable/disable function in the Sharing prefs on the mac, tried enabling, disabling, ect, still nothing.

So yeah, thats my problem, ICS a wireless connection from a mac airport to a pc with a patch cable and yeah, anyone willing to help? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've tried google, but the only link it came up with was someone with the same problem on a different forum with no reply and the article was a couple years old.

P.P.S. I need to have the PC online because I used to run a bunch of servers on it( music, FTP, Audio stream, you name it I've run it) and now I've relocacted and am not able to connect.

P.P.P.S I am not able to move either the PC nor the router.

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Ok, what you need to do is this. Go to the Sharing Pref and Under the internet tab, Share connection from Airport to computers using your ethernet. Then you don't have to set anything up on the PC side. Just plug in the cable and it should work. Assuming of course that you have your PC set to automatically obtain IP addresses and the like.

If you've already done that and it still doesn't work, check your cables I guess

3. lilpunk1302 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much, yeah, thats where the problem was, the ICS and everything on the mac was fine, only flaw was that i set the PC to give itself an Ip cuz from experiance(mostly plugging in a PS2 with ICS) I have to get windows to assign its own IP, so yeah, just a reflex so lesson to all of yous, if your ICS doesn't work, try making sure that the guest pc is on an autoassign IP.

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

LoL the quirks of windows :p Well, glad it works now :D