Use Mac OSXInstall DVD from Different computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iSaga, Aug 12, 2009.

1. iSaga macrumors regular

I use an early 06 Macbook Pro, 15in. I have been having some issues lately and I was told I should try reinstalling the install DVD to wipe everything and start over. Problem I have is my install DVD is 10.4 and when I moved to this country I didn't bring my 10.5(yes I am freaking retarded)

I recently purchased the new 13in Macbook pro for my wife, my question is can I use the install DVD from her computer for my computer? Would that be possible? I really don't want to spend another $150 for leopard and don't want to wait to get my copy sent to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, Install DVDs are specific to that computer.

3. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

IIRC, yes... it might not be legal though, also apple may put codes in their box discs that make them impossible to use w/other comps.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yeah, you'll need system specific restore disks. too bad you didn't bring your leopard disk. but, i think you're in luck! just wait a while. snow leopard comes out soon. you can buy that for $30 and wipe your computer and install that. problem solved! just don't reinstall tiger on your computer before going to snow leopard, because the $30 version only works if you already have leopard installed.

5. iSaga thread starter macrumors regular

Yup that was my backup plan, I just didn't really want to wait till September. Oh well, bring on snow leopard.