Use Macbook Air charger for Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by steve101, Apr 10, 2008.

1. steve101 macrumors newbie

Would it work if I used the Macbook Air charger on my Pro? I'm not bothered about charging times, just as long as it works.

J.

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

It will work. I've done it, it will be take longer to charge though. One thing I would avoid though is something that takes alot of extra power when using. Like using an external monitor and bus powered drives when using the MBA charger. It probably won't be able to power the MBP when doing that. But just the MBP alone it works fine.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I wouldn't recommend it. The MBP will attempt to draw more from the charger than it can deliver. Charging alone should work - I have not tried it - but it would be too easy to misuse the PSU.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've tried it and it won't work on mine. Light won't even light when plugged into the Pro. Works fine on the straight-up mb though.

5. Seth Hawkins macrumors newbie

MBP charger on MBA

Would using the MBP's charger on the MBA reduce the charge time?

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I think doing that would be a Bad idea. the mbps charger is a higher wattage so It can't be good.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No. And you'll also have to find something to prop the MBA up on.

As far as power is concerned, in this situation the PSU is feeding power to the notebook like a Camelbak or a baby's feeding bottle. So it should be a problem, although I can't say that for sure. The opposite (MBA PSU on MBP) is a functional problem because the machine will attempt to draw more current than the PSU can provide.