Use MacBook as remote keyboard and mouse?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thomasn, Jan 18, 2009.

1. thomasn macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

First time posting on this forum, but have been a reader for a very long time.

I have a media centre PC running Vista Media Centre and would like to use my macbook as a remote keyboard and mouse. I seem to end up having my macbook on my lap, and use a wired keyboard and mouse for the media centre most of the time.

I have seen a program called synergy but dont know if it exactly what i need. I also use the media centre for gaming, and would like to a mouse plugged into my macbook, as a keyboard for games, played on a computer across the room. So, i dont need a live updating screen on my macbook, just a way of wirlessly, over wifi, using my macbook as a remote keyboard and mouse.

Thanks,

Tom

2. dtx macrumors newbie

i might recommend using either Microsoft Remote Desktop

or VNC

it's not exactly remote mouse\keyboard, but it is remote desktop which ultimately does the same thing.

3. paolo- macrumors 6502a

4. thomasn thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, have got synergy running, one problem though. When using the computer it is fine, but the second 'Battlefield 2' gets to the loading screen, the mouse goes REALLY sensitive and moves almost from one side to the other of the screen form just moving the mouse a couple of millimetres. Obviously this is completely impractical for gaming! Any ideas?

Will try Microsofts RDC but have not had any luck before.

Tom