Use Macbook OSX disk to install Boot Camp on iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ironshanker, May 14, 2009.

1. ironshanker macrumors newbie

Hey There. I just purchased a new iMac and used Boot Camp 2.0 to install Windows XP on a partition. Unfortunately, when I went to use the OS X disk that came with the iMac to install the drivers, the disk was damaged. I am already in the process of getting a replacement disk.

My question is: I have a new Macbook and the OS X disk that came with it. Can I use this OS X disk to install Boot Camp 2.0 on my iMac?

Thanks for you help!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. Restore discs can't be used on machines other than the one they came with.

3. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Boot Camp Drivers are under EULA?

He's using the disk for the drivers, not for OS X.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. All software that comes with the machine is copyrighted and covered by a EULA.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Besides, the MacBook OS X disc comes with drivers specifically for the MacBook. The drivers therein may not even work on an iMac, let alone the fact that the EULA forbids such use.

6. JKitterman macrumors member

You need to wait for the iMac disk to show up. I don't think the other will have the drivers for all the hardware. You could attempt it but may be missing video and a few others for the iMac model.

7. geoffshep macrumors member

Isn't it 'other than the model of machine they came with' ie in his case, only on a macbook.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In theory, sort of. It must not only be the same model, but also the same hardware revision.

9. jstigall macrumors newbie

I think you'll find that the bootcamp drivers are generic for all Macs, you can only download one version from the Apple website. Just because certain restore discs come with new kernel extensions for OS X doesn't mean the bootcamp drivers won't work, as I'm pretty sure they don't change that self contained exe at all.