Use Macbook Pro Disk to Restore Macbook from Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bridgeyman, Apr 8, 2009.

1. bridgeyman macrumors member

Hey,

I had to give up my Macbook Pro, and am now going back to my Macbook. I have everything loaded on a Time Machine backup, but am having trouble getting to my Macbook.

I bought a Leopard Install DVD back when they were released, but when I pulled it out I saw it is now scratched. Can I use a Macbook Pro Leopard install disk to restore my Time Machine backup to a Macbook?

If not, is there any way to completely restore a computer from a Time Machine backup without an install disk?

TTFN
    Bridger

2. bridgeyman thread starter macrumors member

Oh, the Macbook is already running Leopard. That might be an important detail.

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Unless someone else can answer, I would suggest giving it a try. Usually, the error about computer mismatch occurs when you try to install the Mac OS, as I recall. Since Restore System from Backup is on the Utilities menu, it might not prohibit the restoration.

Frankly, I can't think of any good reason it wouldn't let you.

Give your scratched disc a try as well. The scratch may not affect the smaller bit of code required to boot and run Time Machine.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It should work fine. It will warn you when you start up from the disk that you can't install from there, but it should allow you to access the restore functionality.

BTW, and don't take this as an insult, but I've never figured out why people post these kinds of questions instead of just trying them? Any insights?

jW

5. bridgeyman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to make sure. I didn't know it would have an error and not let me install, I thought it was simply try to install, and then fail to boot because the necessary drivers were missing. Don't think that is too far-fetched, it totally happened to a Windows computer of mine (the motherboard required a driver to be installed?).

6. bridgeyman thread starter macrumors member

Well, I tried it and it didn't work. The error popped up and said I couldn't install. After clicking out of the error, I could still launch a few of the utilities, like Disk Utility, but "Restore from Time Machine Backup" wouldn't work. I guess I will have to obtain a Leopard disk by some other means...