Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Hi,is there a way to use my Macbook Pro 2017 as a simple external USB-C screen for my Mac Mini M1 ?

My travel is going to start now and I want to bring along my Mac Mini M1 with me for my roadtrip, as Macbook pro cannot edit 10 bit files on FCPX or it needs a lot of time for transcoding, which I dont have the time for, as I would be driving and making quick edits for 2 of my Youtube channels.

Of course, the hotels will have a TV which I can simply connect via HDMI cable too and use it, but most hotels have 1080p HD TV and my eye hurts bad on anything less than a 4K or retina display.

So, is there a way to use the macbook pro display as mac mini m1 external display ?

If nothing works, then I will end up carrying a 24 inch 4K LG Monitor in my checkin baggage :(

carl varley

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
Built in screen sharing is an option. You can use your MacBook's keyboard and mouse, have it in windowed or full screen mode, copy and paste between both machines have drag and drop file sharing between desktops and if using thunderbolt it's super fast. You can connect via wifi ethernet or thunderbolt, with thunderbolt having the best frame rate at 30-60fps depending on resolution.

You will need a dummy HDMI or USB3 headless dongle for graphic acceleration such as this:

I have a 4k monitor but use an iMac 2011 as a second screen at 1440p and it works a treat.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
I tried to connect the Mac M1 with iPad directly with USB-C.
It did not work.
It only works via SIDECAR, but for that we first have to have another display connected.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
You may want to check with the people at Astropad. They have a means to do this and if I recall correctly it is called
Luna Display.

Last edited:

carl varley

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
I tried to connect the Mac M1 with iPad directly with USB-C.
It did not work.
It only works via SIDECAR, but for that we first have to have another display connected.
You would need a headless HDMI adaptor like the one I listed. It acts as a fake monitor. You will need to set it up just the once with a real monitor or TV. Then screen sharing or sidecar will work without the real monitor attached.

Luna display is a good option if a little expensive. It works in essentially the same way a screen sharing with the headless HDMI adaptor by fooling the computer into thinking a real monitor is attached, it even comes with its own adaptor.

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
Hello all. I’ve been reading about this stuff for days and I could use some clarity.. I’m trying to run an m1 Mac mini headless the majority of the time; the rest of the time it’s on my Samsung TV via HDMI. I’ve been reading all this ‘dummy plug’ this and ‘dummy plug’ that. Well I had an idea I thought I’d try, that being unplug the HDMI cable at the TV but leave it plugged into the mini. So far this works exactly as I want it to, but I have to ask, am I asking for more problems running it this way? i.e. damage the mini, fire hazard, etc?? TIA!!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I don't think it could cause any harm. But I wonder, is the Mini just "remembering" the resolution of the TV after you unplug the cable? In other words, if you shut the Mini down and reboot without being plugged into the TV, does that still work?

I don't have an M1 Mini, but I use a dummy plug on a headless 2012 quad Mini server. It works without the plug, but defaults to some strange, low resolution since it does not detect a monitor. I also have a 2014 Mini connected to a TV as a media server. If the TV is turned off when it starts up, I get the same sort of problem with the Mini defaulting to a weird resolution even though the cable is plugged into the TV (that is turned off).

Anyway, if what you're doing works.... I'd just use it and be happy. :)

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
I don't think it could cause any harm. But I wonder, is the Mini just "remembering" the resolution of the TV after you unplug the cable? In other words, if you shut the Mini down and reboot without being plugged into the TV, does that still work?

I don't have an M1 Mini, but I use a dummy plug on a headless 2012 quad Mini server. It works without the plug, but defaults to some strange, low resolution since it does not detect a monitor. I also have a 2014 Mini connected to a TV as a media server. If the TV is turned off when it starts up, I get the same sort of problem with the Mini defaulting to a weird resolution even though the cable is plugged into the TV (that is turned off).

Anyway, if what you're doing works.... I'd just use it and be happy. :)
Yes, it works, at least as far as I can tell. The resolution when connected to the TV is one setting, when it’s unplugged it goes to a much higher resolution (actually making VNC access from my phone a little difficult). I’ve got a guy in Apple forums telling me that constantly unplugging/plugging in the HDMI is likely to damage the cable and/or TV electronics.. This make any sense to you? Thanks!

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
I’m also wondering… Does anyone know for certain that “Lock Screen” on a Mac mini cuts any feed from the HDMI port? As I’m not broadcasting anything? Just curious… Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.