Use Mail and Whatsapp

Trequartista

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
Hello

I can‘t use Mail and Whatsapp without my phone next to it. Is this really the case or is there something wrong?
I use the WatchChat App and I thought since it‘s connected via Whatsapp Web it works as long as the phone is connected somewhere.

Same with Mail.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
I think the watch has to be connected with the phone through bluetooth for Mail to work. I am not sure about WhatsApp but I suspect it works the same way. I just tried this: I put the phone in airplane mode so the watch is disconnected from the phone. Then I tried to view emails. Emails that has been synced to the watch before are still there but I cannot check for new emails and I cannot see emails that are on the phone but not synced to the watch. I think what you observed is expected behavior. Mail can only work when the watch is connected to the phone.

Trequartista

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
It seems to be like this, yeah. And I cannot really understand why. This makes the Apple Watch so much underestimating its own power, limited by apps that are built not for indiependent use with the watch. Very sad.
What is funny though is that Facebook Messenger seems to work without any phone.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
It seems to be like this, yeah. And I cannot really understand why. This makes the Apple Watch so much underestimating its own power, limited by apps that are built not for indiependent use with the watch. Very sad.
What is funny though is that Facebook Messenger seems to work without any phone.
I have always thought that Apple Watch need to rely on the phone for most apps to work. Other than Wi-Fi calling, and maybe walkie talkie, the apps on iPhone is somewhat just a way to view what is on the phone. The workout app has limited independence as it can record an activity without a phone but needs to phone to view the details of the data and upload data to iCloud.