use many .xib windows or not?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by larswik, Sep 4, 2011.

1. larswik macrumors 68000

I have to decided on how to layout my app. I have 4 categories linked to UIButtons (food, shopping, fun, wine). When a button is clicked it opens up another window. So if Food is pressed the next window has buttons for (List all, list by category and so on).

Is it best to create separate xib's or create more windows in the same xib and hide then on launch?

2. hayesk macrumors 65816

Separate xib mean your app can unload apps when they're no longer needed. This can be a big memory saver. My general rule of thumb is to make a xib for every view controller, and a view controller for every "screen" in my apps. If there are popups that can be used in different screens, then i'll put them in a separate xib as well (with their own view controller)

3. larswik thread starter macrumors 68000

That makes sound good. The goal is to reach a final page that will have an UITableView with a list of clients. click on the client and information is downloaded from a web folder and displayed on the page.

So memory is on my mind. Download all the content for every client so interface is faster, or download and store photos and text as they click on the client button.

Thanks for your info